Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80 litre waeco not reaching temp

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My brother has the 80 litre dual zone waeco.

He was at my house the other day when we had that hot 38 degree day and he had it set at -10 which "In his words" holds the beer temp in the fridge department perfectly.

Long story short it could only get to -3 with the fridge in the shade under the carport. When the sun set it came back up.

I know in my 60 litre I can set it to whatever and whenever and it will easily reach desired temp.

Is this is a regular problem with the larger fridges struggling on hot days or is something wrong with it?

Never had this problem with my 60 and had it inside locked up in the gq on similar days with no issue, even set at -10.

Larger area to cool and can't handle it or?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate you will find that it was the weather and not the fridge mate. Below is straight for the manual available online.

Temp range is +10 to -18 but advises that minimum temp can not be gained when ambient temp is above 32c

ImageUploadedByMotorculture1420799846.010738.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (9th January 2015), Bloodyaussie (10th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, interesting how the 60 litre can reach any temp any time but the 80 just can't cut it in the extreme days.

It would suck if you went up north touring in the heat? The fridge part of the dual zone was warm enough to spoil food and the freezer would not freeze water.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you put a multi meter on the power supply at the back of the car for voltage drop? What condition are his batteries?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate you will find that it was the weather and not the fridge mate. Below is straight for the manual available online.
    Agree with MR on this call.

The Waeco 80's aren't exactly brilliant performers when ambient temps head past low 30's and they suck in high 30's, low 40's.
    In fairness to Waeco they do say so in their specs.

I sold mine and use two smaller fridges instead.
    Much happier camper
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I told Mark to check for voltage drop because the previous owner has run the power to the tray and an extra few metres so they can put the firdge outside the tray under a tree, etc for camping. Mark also got his auto elec to add a couple of metres onto the waeco cable as well....lol

He cracked it and just bought a new Optima and still same problem.

I'll try and take a look this weekend. I remember when I had voltage drop on mine the fridge would cut out. I did watch his fridge for 5 minutes and didnt see it cutting out though.

Newb question = Can you get a voltage drop that simply doesnt supply enough power or will it just always cut out like mine did?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big waeco that i had just didnt cut it in hot weather hence went to a 60l as all the above is correct
    check his cables and put in heavy duty for less power drop and i use dc to dc charger on aux battery
    and when not driving switches to 70w solar to top up while parked up

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I told Mark to check for voltage drop because the previous owner has run the power to the tray and an extra few metres so they can put the firdge outside the tray under a tree, etc for camping. Mark also got his auto elec to add a couple of metres onto the waeco cable as well....lol

He cracked it and just bought a new Optima and still same problem.

I'll try and take a look this weekend. I remember when I had voltage drop on mine the fridge would cut out. I did watch his fridge for 5 minutes and didnt see it cutting out though.

Newb question = Can you get a voltage drop that simply doesnt supply enough power or will it just always cut out like mine did?

Yep and you can, the waeco have 3 cutoff levels his could be set on high also

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just tell him he should have bought an engel... haha

All joking aside that's a pretty disappointing state of affairs if it can't keep beer cold when ambient is above 32+ degrees.

Next time you could test it by plugging it into 240v, should tell you if it is voltage drop issue or simply the fridge design and specifications not handling it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    some fridges cant hack hot humid conditions, I think the National Luna[Trail Blazer]
    was the only one tested that passed with flying colours , whislt being tested up Cape york
    by one of the Mags
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast