Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas and petrol vs diesel

Thanks
    Thanked 3,784 Times in 2,037 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick you haven't told us what type of system you have. I'm running a direct injection (stag) system and am getting about the same as Bob when he's towing, but I'm not, so I still need to improve.

If you are due for new spark plugs go for a gas plug, they're a colder plug (I think).

I've been told that the TB patrols like to breath. I'm wanting to go with extractors and a 2 1/2" exhaust.

Other thing would a good tune if you can find someone how knows what they are doing..

What type of driving are you doing, motorway of city. That makes a big difference.

Good luck.
    Last edited by jay see; 19th April 2016 at 06:53 AM.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jay See
    All I know is that it's Stag sequential, but don't know the particular model.

I had new plugs (NGK LPG) fitted about 6 weeks ago and have had problems since (see my other thread) - basically running very rough on gas at times but not always - mainly under load, I.e. Steep hills or towing. Much better or no noticeable problems on petrol. First stop is new throttle body and inlet manifold gaskets which weren't changed at the time as they take silly long times to get from Japan. They should arrive in the next few days and will hopefully cure the rough running/missing problems.

But fuel consumption is no better or worse since the new plugs so I've gotta look elsewhere. I'm gonna get the gas system serviced and checked but my nearest garage is about 100km away! Next step I guess is engine tuners. Lots around that want to chip it or remap the eck but I don't think that's a good move. Need to find an old school tuners me thinks!

Thanks again

Nick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, forgot to say, mixed driving, motorway, town, off-road!

Also forgot to say I've been getting O2 sensor errors pop up, usually after driving in wet stuff. I don't think they are faulty as if I clear the code, it's fine until the next wet stuff. Hoping there is an inlet manifold leak which is confusing the sensors + water = EML and code.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alterastro View Post
    Hi Jay See
    All I know is that it's Stag sequential, but don't know the particular model.

I had new plugs (NGK LPG) fitted about 6 weeks ago and have had problems since (see my other thread) - basically running very rough on gas at times but not always - mainly under load, I.e. Steep hills or towing. Much better or no noticeable problems on petrol. First stop is new throttle body and inlet manifold gaskets which weren't changed at the time as they take silly long times to get from Japan. They should arrive in the next few days and will hopefully cure the rough running/missing problems.

But fuel consumption is no better or worse since the new plugs so I've gotta look elsewhere. I'm gonna get the gas system serviced and checked but my nearest garage is about 100km away! Next step I guess is engine tuners. Lots around that want to chip it or remap the eck but I don't think that's a good move. Need to find an old school tuners me thinks!

Thanks again

Nick
    Throttle body may just need a clean, as it builds up carbon. Also have a look at the maf , that may need cleaning.

What about tappet adjustment, when was that last done.

Just throwing out ideas.

I've got the same system. If you want I could give you an email address to the guy that tunes mine. Long shot but he may have contacts over there. He plugs it up to his laptop and tuned it that way.

Will have to have a look at your other thread when I get home.
    12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers. You would hope that when they removed the throttle body to do the plugs they would've cleaned it! But I'll make sure to ask them to do it when they do the gaskets.

Tappets - no idea - possibly never. Do they need doing at a certain interval? It's done 73,000 miles btw - about 117,000km so fairly low for its age (2003).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tappets generally every 20,000 km.
    12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your running a 4.8 tappets are a bucket and shim jobbies.(at least the one i did) check em but changing em is not a quick job. 200 000 before we had to change them. but that is a vapour gas system. oh on other gas notes incorrect plug gap can cause misfires under load. (also had 4 out of 6 brad new plugs fail within a week) and leaking manifold can cause lots of problems. back fires can destroy your intake piping too so be careful. just a couple things i've found. and no way would i own a gas car.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have owned the tb42e with mixer type LPG of 90 useable litres and a 45 litre petrol sub tank and returning the following consistently

LPG is around 19.5l/100km on the highway and 21.5l/100km city
    Petrol is 17.9l/100km on the highway and nearly 20l/100km city

Gas is anywhere between 450-485km per tank depending on driving conditions and petrol around 290-325km per tank. Great on the highways on the LPG and can get from Toowoomba to rocky with fuel to spare.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After owning my 2014 Y61 for over a year now, and being my first "modern diesel" 4wd since an old landy a few life times ago, I think my next 4wd will be will be a petrol job. Although I love the off-road capability of the Patrol, I don't like it's inconsistent economy, lack of power, and potential repair costs ( bad fuel repairs - fuel pump ).
    After owning two120 series 4lt petrol Prados, that potential repair costs were minimal and fuel economy was good, not great, but consistent, I just don't think owning another modern diesel is a viable choice for me.

My previous Prados consistently returned about 14-15ltrs when towing, 4wdriving, Hwy or urban driving, giving good range with 180lt fuel capacity.

Now that I have virtually retired and have bought another vehicle for daily use, the cost of running my Patrol has reduced significantly as it will be only used for trips and not a daily driver, so I will be keeping it for some time.

If, and when I decide it's time to get another one, it will be a petrol 4wd.

Bazza
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a '98 4.5 with an 80L lpg tank an a 50L petrol and I get 250kms around town and about 300 on the highway.

I don't even run the thing on petrol as my trips in it are to the South Coast (200kms each way and heaps of LPG availability) and when I go out to the tracks it is usually about 150km round trip. The range is fine for my purposes.

Wasn't prepared to fork out for a 4.2TD for my first 4x4 but wanted a bit of grunt for towing my boat so the 4.5 on gas was the only real choice.

In saying that when I get a newer Patrol, it will be a TD for sure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast