OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smallest panel to run a 32L Fridge? Or add another panel to my camper setup/

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redundancy and flexibility.. add a second panel that is independent but have the wiring/switching flexibility to have one integrated unit. I have double Anderson plugs in the 'trol and will do so in the CT, one for single system, the other to crossover and make the banks combined. I'd like to just have an old 3-way switch (marine) but thought it would look odd. I might mount one in the CT, have one in the CSU which I will move to the CT.
    2004 4.2TD ST, Berrima Diesel Injector Tuned, Viper 3" SS exhaust, Cross Country Ultimate Intercooler, Solvaris sound proofing, DigOptions GPS/MMU, 220mm Roo Lights, PIONEER TS-D1602R 6.5" x 4 speakers, Autocar EGT&Boost gauges, Brown Davis 80L Aux, Icom 440, Alloy drawers and cargo barrier, 2" Amanda Extreme / Dobson / PolyAir lift, CSA mags with Toyo ATII tyres, Rhino Pioneer roof rack now with brackets, Performance 4x4 16g Large.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HuskyInAuz For This Useful Post:

mudski (7th January 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna borrow Lucas30's panels for this trip. As I am in two minds on how to go about it. And the mob I want to buy the panels off, I where I got my current 180W set, is on break until the 12th.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the same as ET mentioned, we leave out 80 ltr at camp with 2x110ah batts charging with 1or2 120w panels depending on the duration of the stay and we leave the 50 ltr in the car.
    If we are driving/exploring a lot I leave it unplugged until night time but if we are staying put and relaxing I have a 10m Anderson plug extension I can plug the car to the camper and link the car aux so the two fridges run off 3x 110ah and the solar will charge all 3 batts

I have a bright blue strap I wrap around the drivers mirror as an indication it's plugged in as it can be forgotten easily!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    snip...
    I have a bright blue strap I wrap around the drivers mirror as an indication it's plugged in as it can be forgotten easily!
    Yep...It's just like the front hatch on a Tvan... everybody forgets about it... once
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yep...It's just like the front hatch on a Tvan... everybody forgets about it... once
    Surely nobody would be that stupid!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Surely nobody would be that stupid!
    Hehehehe, knew I'd getcha
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    I do the same as ET mentioned, we leave out 80 ltr at camp with 2x110ah batts charging with 1or2 120w panels depending on the duration of the stay and we leave the 50 ltr in the car.
    If we are driving/exploring a lot I leave it unplugged until night time but if we are staying put and relaxing I have a 10m Anderson plug extension I can plug the car to the camper and link the car aux so the two fridges run off 3x 110ah and the solar will charge all 3 batts

You've got me intrigued here. Do you have the lead with the anderson plug directly to the aux battery in the car then connect to one of the two batts in the camper? Two weeks camping with NO mains power I just want to be prepared... Dib, Dib, Dib.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dunno about Mega but I just have a lead with an Anderson at each end.
    Park the car within reach of the camper and plug 'em in.
    During the day the Solar can now 'see' the Vehicle Aux and, if like me you use Dual sense VSR's, it will also charge the Cranker if it needs it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (8th January 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Dunno about Mega but I just have a lead with an Anderson at each end.
    Park the car within reach of the camper and plug 'em in.
    During the day the Solar can now 'see' the Vehicle Aux and, if like me you use Dual sense VSR's, it will also charge the Cranker if it needs it.
    So direct from Aux battery to one of the batteries in the camper will work?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    So direct from Aux battery to one of the batteries in the camper will work?
    Yep, sure will.

There are a few different options depending on how an individual setup is wired and what solar regs, DC/DC devices are in use etc. but simplest way is just hook the sucker up in parallel.

Keep the lead as short as is convenient say 3 to 4 metres max and use reasonable gauge cable say 12 to 10 gauge and you won't have much voltage drop at all over the extra distance to the vehicle aux.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (9th January 2015)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast