OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smallest panel to run a 32L Fridge? Or add another panel to my camper setup/

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Smallest panel to run a 32L Fridge? Or add another panel to my camper setup/

So we are going camping for two weeks this time. On this Monday. My camper is sorted with all the solar equipment and will last the two weeks. But I keep my beer fridge in the back of the car, a 32L Engel. This runs soley off the aux battery which is a 105AH Deep cycle, or there abouts. I was thinking to either get another smaller panel to connect to the car, maybe around 80w. Purely for size really. Or, I then had a thought of putting the 32L fridge in with the 75L Combi that runs off two 105AH batts and then add in the other 80W panel? If I do choose the latter path, can I run two different specced panel setups into the one controller? BCDC1225.
    I suppose I could actually do both, well not at the same time, but set up right I can chose.

I know the bigger the better but adding more panels equals more space taken up. Hence the thought, whether its good or not, on the smaller panel.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well on the other hand you have two independent systems... one which could be cranked up (down C) to keep the refreshments at the proper temp and not worry about the butter.
    2004 4.2TD ST, Berrima Diesel Injector Tuned, Viper 3" SS exhaust, Cross Country Ultimate Intercooler, Solvaris sound proofing, DigOptions GPS/MMU, 220mm Roo Lights, PIONEER TS-D1602R 6.5" x 4 speakers, Autocar EGT&Boost gauges, Brown Davis 80L Aux, Icom 440, Alloy drawers and cargo barrier, 2" Amanda Extreme / Dobson / PolyAir lift, CSA mags with Toyo ATII tyres, Rhino Pioneer roof rack now with brackets, Performance 4x4 16g Large.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Me... considering a 32 Engel draws bugger all and I like a fridge in teh car at all times
    Assumption 1 - the Car gets a bit of running around when camped.
    I'd leave the 35 litre in the car and run a lead from the Camper to the Car at night
    The Car Aux and Camper battery bank will happily run both fridges

Assumption 2 - the Car gets a almost zero running around when camped.
    I'd leave the 35 litre in the car and either:
    run a 50 watt panel on the vehicle to keep the Aux up
    or
    still run a lead from the Camper to the Car and use the camper array
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (6th January 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For this particular trip, assumption 2 will be the closer scenario. Could I also use say a 50 or 60W panel of a different brand/ specs etc in conjunction with my existing 180W setup if ever need be?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    For this particular trip, assumption 2 will be the closer scenario. Could I also use say a 50 or 60W panel of a different brand/ specs etc in conjunction with my existing 180W setup if ever need be?
    Yes, but I wouldn't really bother.
    I reckon 180 watts of Solar into a BCDC 1225 and 300 AH's of battery bank will be poo poo loads of zap juice.

Be careful you don't exceed the max solar input into the BCDC1225.
    I wouldn't add solar capacity past 240 watts without asking Redarc what the limit is (I haven't been able to find it in their specs).
    It may not matter a rats and the unit may not have a limit as such but I would ask them.

I have a short 5 metre lead with Andersons at each end that I plug from my van to my Truck whenever it is parked up and that works for me IE I have my camp refridgeration and my vehicle refridgeration without juggling things around.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 6th January 2015 at 10:36 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (6th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ET I think, but am not 100% certain that if you exceed the capacity of the BCDC’s solar handling capacity it just wastes the extra rather than frying the BCDC.

Mudski, if you are heading out via Ballarat way next Monday I’ve got a folding 100w panel with regulator & crocodile clips you could borrow for your trip if you wish. It’s in a padded carry bag.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (7th January 2015), mudski (6th January 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    ET I think, but am not 100% certain that if you exceed the capacity of the BCDC’s solar handling capacity it just wastes the extra rather than frying the BCDC.

Mudski, if you are heading out via Ballarat way next Monday I’ve got a folding 100w panel with regulator & crocodile clips you could borrow for your trip if you wish. It’s in a padded carry bag.
    Thanks Cuppa. But we are heading east. I might get a 80W panel with reg I think as last time we went camping, it was quite hot and the fridge in the car drained the battery in a couple of days. So I think to be safe I'll get one, with a cheap(ish) reg and when I have time get another BCDC1225 to replace the SBI12 in the car.
    I appreciate the offer though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    snip...

I reckon so as well.
    All that will probably happen is the voltage rises towards open circuit but I'm curious to know now...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Park your Patrol in the shade wind all windows down a tad for air flow ,
    no lower than your visors ,remove two drinks at a time.
    I did this in 30 degree humid conditions and didnt even touch my Aux battery after three days

Battery was a 115 wet cell Trojan,. Make sure fridge is full all the time
    40 ltr Engel
    Last edited by threedogs; 7th January 2015 at 07:31 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a 60l that goes all the time in the car with a 70watt panel on the roof rack
    when we did the simmo i had a 32l in the car as well as a freezer mind you we travelled
    every day and the dctodc took care of them but when stopped or parked up the solar
    took care of them works for me

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast