Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is solar on the roof an option?

I’ve seen alternators up to 130amps also for a zd30 but not on ebay, i was talking to a sales bloke in one of these two shops.
    I didn’t get one due to the price though im not running a fridge 24/7

http://www.ashdown-ingram.com.au/pro...ing-electrical

or

Electrics Australia
    Electrical Supply Store
    Address: 16 Hampshire St., Archerfield QLD 4108
    Phone07) 3277 4566

Not very local for you but they may have distributers your way?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really as thats where i put my swag and some other gear up when im going camping.

Ill call a few auto leks tomorrow and see what they say

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shan-747 View Post
    I need it to properly charge my second battery as im running my fridge on it 24/7 so just wanted that extra amps to get a bit more voltage
    I have the Redarc BC / DC charger which charges my aux battery at 15v
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shan-747 View Post
    I need it to properly charge my second battery as im running my fridge on it 24/7 so just wanted that extra amps to get a bit more voltage
    The size of your Alternator isn't the issue and a higher amperage one won't do diddley squat.
    You could put a 200 Amp one in and the result will still be the same

Assuming your existing wiring is acceptable and doesn't have too much voltage drop you need a DC/DC charger.
    Redarc or Ctek are excellent units that will step up the voltage from the existing Alternator.

Having said that if the vehicle is parked in the sun at all what you really need is solar.

Let us know what the sparkies say and we will tell you if they speak with forked tongue or not.

Forgot to ask but need to know your fridge size etc
    Last edited by the evil twin; 6th January 2015 at 01:05 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many ways to skin a cat!
    I also tend to think that fitting a second alternator is likely to be a ‘difficult’ solution which is unlikely to offer any benefit over utilising the existing alternator as others have suggested. There are a few variables which will help to determine the best set up for your individual purposes. Eg. Whether you drive long or short distances daily, whether you stay in one place longer than over night, whether you have regular access to mains 240v power, how close the battery is to the alternator, , whether you are predominantly wanting to use the setup in the south, the north, just in summer or anywhere in the country year round. Solutions for weekends away will be different to solutions for full time travel. Available space for solar & fridge size (current draw) are significant factors too.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try upgrading the Aux Battery to an AGM 120 amp/ hr its the capacity of the battery you need more life from,
    as the charge is regulated anyway @ 13 volts
    2012 GU Y61, Bull Bar, D/Lights, Alloy 1/2 rack, Warn winch, side steps,Snorkel, Remote coms / mobile & UHF,Dual batteries, set up for camper towing remote areas. nick name " Chuck "

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    is solar on the roof an option?

I’ve seen alternators up to 130amps also for a zd30 but not on ebay, i was talking to a sales bloke in one of these two shops.
    I didn’t get one due to the price though im not running a fridge 24/7

http://www.ashdown-ingram.com.au/pro...ing-electrical

or

Electrics Australia
    Electrical Supply Store
    Address: 16 Hampshire St., Archerfield QLD 4108
    Phone07) 3277 4566

Not very local for you but they may have distributers your way?
    Strange this. I rang Ashdowns when I was looking for an alternator and they only listed a 90amp unit. But it looks like a bigger alternator wont help the op much out anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    90amp is stock on the ZD's. I replaced mine with a 100A jobbie but I'm suspect of it being 100A. Dunno how to test it but i'm not too concerned.... So I have only seen 90 and 100A floating around on fleabay. Might be best to see someone who rebuilds them... I'm thinking of doing this to my old alternator.
    The stator and the rotor are wound differently, probably heavier wire
    to handle extra amps
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

10. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

mudski (6th January 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Have you considered a heavier battery, the alternator can only charge up to what the battery can carry 13 volts!
    I use an AGM 120 amp it will go 3 days easy with a waeco 40 .
    chuck
    2012 GU Y61, Bull Bar, D/Lights, Alloy 1/2 rack, Warn winch, side steps,Snorkel, Remote coms / mobile & UHF,Dual batteries, set up for camper towing remote areas. nick name " Chuck "

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As Mudski points out a larger Alternator doesnt really help your 12v requirements.
    If travelling 2-3 hrs a day a 90 amp will do the job.
    What I think you want is some way to stay in one spot longer and keep your drinks and food cold.
    Then Solar would be the way to go, after your Aux battery install. A 120 watt panel will return
    about 7AH on a good day per hour. So on sunny days you could easily prop in one spot for
    over a week,including your camp lighting keeping your batteries topped up via the sun
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast