Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 core versus 3 core radiators

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had it explained to me that engine oil is designed to be at the optimum viscosity in the normal heat range. Running too cold it is thicker and also the engine is tuned for the normal heat range too.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Hodge (4th January 2015), the evil twin (4th January 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    But heavy duty 2 core or 3 core as I know with 3 core there are smaller channels as apposed to a 2 core with larger????
    you are right.......

I had a 3 core one, and it never fixed the constant "Nissan" aircon OFF when hot
    went back to a brand new Factory 2 core

and it was fine

then I found out that the cores in the 3 core (all 3 together) is less than the 2 cores in the OE one............

the Ally ones of eBay are a hit and miss if they are any good (without defects or leaking) and a waste of time (know of 6 ppl who have brought...... only 2 were any good)

just saying..........
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (4th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I have had it explained to me that engine oil is designed to be at the optimum viscosity in the normal heat range. Running too cold it is thicker and also the engine is tuned for the normal heat range too.
    Agreed plus different metals expand at different rates so the engine is designed around tolerances for components to be at optimal size at a regulated temperature range, well, reasonably well regulated.
    Same applies to hydraulic systems like power steering or auto gearboxes

In quite cold climates you may have to put covers over the radiator air source so the engine gets hot enough.
    Ice Road Truckers is an extreme example but a good one.
    They run their loaded trucks with maybe 1/2 to 3/4's of the grille covered and if empty or light load maybe 3/4's or more.

Not common these days but old school some trucks tractors etc had adjustable louvres on the radiator to restrict air flow
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudnut (4th January 2015), MudRunnerTD (4th January 2015), Stropp (5th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Running too cool? That is what a thermostat is for, it opens and closes to regulate engine temps.

IMO any turboed td42 should have a basic radiator upgrade.
    Yeah don't see how running too cold could possibly be a problem??

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You choose a thermostat to suit your climate IMO
    As if you were in Darwin you would have a different set up to Tassie.
    Running too cold will damage your motor
    I think they call them tropical thermostats not 100% sure on that one

Too cold and a gas system may not work to its optimum

A friend of mine John Bennet [Google him] designed the cooling systems for
    the V8 super cars he also has/had superior cooling setups for Nissans and most V8 conversions where
    they couldnt get the motor to "normal'.
    His system part "A" cost $600 for the water pump where he would take your water pump apart.
    throw the pressed tin fan in the bin and build a proper impellor to go it its place.
    He would then take a dye grinder and remove any areas where any sort of "cavitation" could occur. This mod alone was worth doing, increasing water flow by 20%
    Part "B" of the mod was another $600 and included a billet thermostat housing that went into the bottom hose, there by taking engine temp when it leaves the motor, He also had a bleed system at the rear of the motor. With part "A" and "B" installed it would sit on "NORMAL" going up Zeka spur in low low with the aircon on on a 45 degree day. Sadly he retired to Mt Maceadon but still does a water pump now and again'
    What this guy doesnt know about cooling isnt worth knowing, He is considered the Guru of all things to do with Automotive cooling.
    Last edited by threedogs; 4th January 2015 at 01:22 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    If that was the case, why have the thermostat to heat the engine and coolant up to 90 ish degrees in the first place.
    You could dice it and let the engine run as cold as the efficiency of the cooling system allows.
    Yet every manuf runs their engines at 90 to 105 give or take as "normal" operating range
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (4th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    But heavy duty 2 core or 3 core as I know with 3 core there are smaller channels as apposed to a 2 core with larger????
    As long as you have have more capacity than stock (13L I think ) My pwr gives me an extra 5 odd litres of capacity. More coolant, more ability to transfer heat
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (4th January 2015), Winnie (4th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it runs cold and the engine cannot get to temp the internals wont expand to their proper tolerances, and it will wear.

Anywhere between the 2 lines on the factory temp gauge is considered normal temp.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (4th January 2015), Stropp (5th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post

If it runs cold and the engine cannot get to temp the internals wont expand to their proper tolerances, and it will wear.

Anywhere between the 2 lines on the factory temp gauge is considered normal temp.
    I meant, how could it be a problem being that the thermostat will just close if the radiator I too efficient

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I meant, how could it be a problem being that the thermostat will just close if the radiator I too efficient
    The thermostat won't stay closed. The thermostat will open when the stationary water in the engine reaches a certain temperature, allowing water to circulate through the system. When the engine temperature normalises, the thermostat may close a little or a lot to maintain a regulated temp. This is how it normally works. If the cooling is too efficient, that is the radiator is getting rid of ALL the heat, the maximum working temperature or the engine will be that of the radiator water. In other words the thermostat can only regulate what it has. If for some reason the water is too hot or too cold the thermostat can only regulate within that range.
    IMHO the OME design of radiator, thermostat and system is probably best for the vehicle unless you are running in extremes such as cold climate all the time or very hot climate all the time. Increasing the number of cores may result in better cooling of the water but will also decrease the ID of the galleries in the radiator. OK if you always use good coolant in your radiator. Unfortunately, we tend to take our vehicles out and fill the radiator externals with leaves and mud and wonder why they don't perform as well as they did. There is always the possibility that an emergency in the bush may cause you to have to top up or even fill with not so pure water instead of coolant. In this situation it may be best to have as large an ID in the galleries as possible.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (4th January 2015), jay see (4th January 2015), mudnut (4th January 2015), MudRunnerTD (4th January 2015)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast