Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting up newbie advice

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Going down hill stick to the ruts, there is a very fine line between full noise and momentum.
    General rule of thumb is low 2nd if going uphill with revs around 1800-2000
    maybe lower if petrol. as ET says going down lock everything you have and select Low 1st
    you can feather the brake if you feel you are going to quick , NEVER change gears or touch the clutch either going
    up or down. If you dont feel comfortable about doing a track dont do it, take the easier track sometimes called the chicken track.
    Avoid bog holes like the plague, it will only cause you pain. Make sure after any weekend away to clean your gear with hot soapy water,
    allow to dry properly and pack it ready for your next trip. its all about momentum and wheel placement, going flat stick up a hill will only end in tears IMO
    softly does it take your time and think it through.
    Find yourself a nice hill or track you can practice on, in the dry and in the wet , then when you master that look for something a tad more technical.
    Dont forget the chicken track is there for a reason
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I have read the posts, and WOW this is either going to be great, or painful. Putting oil in my Camry a challenge (let it run dry), and washing the car, LMAO as I read hot soapy water.
    But seriously thank you. Thankfully he is a softly does it and thinking person.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, join a club (and do driver training) or invest $300 on some 4wd QLD driver training. This will form the basis of what you NEED to know before heading out. Don't go on your own either.

As far as initial hardware goes:
    A good map of where you are going (preferably topo)
    UHF radio
    Rated recovery points
    Recovery kit
    Tyre deflator
    Tyre pressure gauge
    Portable compressor

A set of decent mud tyres or all terrains would be good too but not essential to start with
    depending on the tracks and the condition (wet or dry).
    They're probably the basics and from there, it's wherever you want to take it with mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12