OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $15,000 What to buy, I thought I knew until I kept reading, now I feel stumped.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$15,000 What to buy, I thought I knew until I kept reading, now I feel stumped.

After reading so much on this site, I'm more confused as ever on what to get. I will have around $15k to spend soon but which one. GQ 4.2D, GU 4.5 lpg/ulp, buy an old dog and deck it out. The wife likes the look of the GU's but I think the GQ's may be abit stronger. It will be an everyday runner (100kms per day) and taken beach or bush once a month on an overnight fish/shoot/prospecting (300 - 600kms). I'm not in the king of the mountain thing or who can go the fastest through 4 feet deep mud. Just want to stepout into nature with my 3 older boys and enjoy our fantastic country.

Any thoughts would be great.

ps. I live in Perth, am I better to look east and drive it back?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that budget I would be looking for a GQ 4.2 diesel (about $10,000 for a good one) and decking it out with the remaining money. Strength wise they are about the same, GU has stronger CV joints but for what you will be doing you are unlikely to find the limits of the GQ CV's.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defintely GQ for mine (have had two GU's and 2 GQ's). You'll get a good mid nineties model for under or around 10k and have plenty left for mods - if you're not doing anything overly extreme save yourself some dollars and try to go a dual fuel setup on a TB42e, which you would definitely pick up in that price range (heaps out there already with LPG installed). The money left over can go into setting it up for trips, so less on suspension lifts and the like, and more on things like dual battery setup, a fridge, a rooftop basket with fold out awning and lighting, etc, etc .... stuff for camping and fishing and going bush to get away from it all ...

Just my thoughts ...

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me ,and looking at Tb42 pettie/lpg
    Id go TB42e pettie get a good 1
    Then use the government LPG subsidy and convert it
    I spent absolutely ages looking at pettie /LPG cars and theyre all cr*p
    I ended up buying the best TB42e(GQ) (want the job done,not think about it) i could find and if i need to convert to LPG later i will
    I paid more than 10K for my 1997 GQ TB42e (under 200K ), but i have yet to find another to this day as good
    Pettie or diesel ANY GQ in good nick will command (and generally get) good $$$

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was spending that dosh, I would upgrade to GQ 4.2 turbo diesel. Upgrade suspension and get a good to go Patrol that will take you most places. Oh,yeah a set of Mud tyres on rims from Ebay, so you have A/T for on road and most standard stuff but good tyre for real off roading.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Had a 2007 3.0 CRD GU from new but I upgraded to the 1989 Mighty GQ and do not regret it one bit.
    Loved the GU but for how I drive, the GQ can handle more of the rough stuff.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Western Patrol Club member

GQ with 5.7 Gen 111 V8, Dual ARB airlockers, 33" Coopers, 9000lb Premier winch, Black Widow draws

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that looks like a good buy, nice find

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gec View Post
    Stop Looking Mate!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That is your next car if you have $15k to spend^^^^^^^^^

Fine Fine example of a GQ Right There. Looks very tidy to me and i dont know the guy..

If it drives as good as it looks then you would be nuts to drive past it.

spend the other $6K or $7K on a decent 45lt fridge, a roof rack, Oz Tent and Awening, Drawers for the back, steel bar and winch and YOU ARE DONE!! GO ANYWHERE!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Stop Looking Mate!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That is your next car if you have $15k to spend^^^^^^^^^

Fine Fine example of a GQ Right There. Looks very tidy to me and i dont know the guy..

If it drives as good as it looks then you would be nuts to drive past it.

spend the other $6K or $7K on a decent 45lt fridge, a roof rack, Oz Tent and Awening, Drawers for the back, steel bar and winch and YOU ARE DONE!! GO ANYWHERE!
    Absolutely agree!! If you don't get it, I will !!! LOL ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast