Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel consumption on 2014 Y61 ST Patrol 3.0 TD

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I take it you have checked tyre pressures and you have OE tyres and rims fitted
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OE Tyres and rims

Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I take it you have checked tyre pressures and you have OE tyres and rims fitted
    Tyres are Bridgestone 697 Duellers 275/65R17's Running at 38-40psi.

toucan

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    That was on the Scan guage which was calibrated very accurately to +/- 1%
    That's turning 33's
    @the evil twin

Hey ET. Just wondering how you got your Scangauge really accurate? I'm about to start following bellow instructions from scratch.
    For 33" did you set your speed setting +3% or there abouts? And for the second fill-up, how religiously do you have to follow the filling up when tank is at 1/4 rule ?? Since there is 2 tanks. 125L total, it's hard to gauge what exactly is a quarter.

I started this process ages ago then, just forgot about it, so gonna reset and start fresh.

2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 1/4 tank isn't critical.
    They just want you to use a decent amount of fuel to help get it more accurate.
    Keep an eye on what it says over the next few tanks after the 2nd fill as well and if it is consistently low or high you can tweak it a tad more.
    I used to fill my truck from an empty sub and 1/4ish main (long range) so it would take 110 to 125 odd litres.
    There are variables from pump to pump but it should be within about a litre or maybe two at the most and over several fills it should average out.

My Scangauge fuel % setting for my Patrol was +9.7%
    That was with a DP Chip set on 7 or maybe 8 can't quite remember.

I can't remember what the speed compensation % was but that is easy to set.
    Just set it to agree with a GPS or SatNav it will be different for almost any truck due to tyre diameter and wear.

You need to have both fuel and speed corrections set correctly to get the best accuracy
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    THanks a lot for that mate. Give me a better idea. See I didnt even know about the fuel setting either... And as I have a dyno tuned uni chip i wouldnt have a clue where to set it at.
    2005 TD42TI

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my 2011 CRD, hardly tows and from new it gets 16 ish. its an auto and I drive normally. It does produce some smoke accelerating away even gentle acceleration. I am interested to see how running higher rpm is going to improve fuel economy?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

I can't remember what the speed compensation % was but that is easy to set.
    Just set it to agree with a GPS or SatNav it will be different for almost any truck due to tyre diameter and wear.
    Calibrated mine today and is surprised me. My scangauge is at +12% and is more or less spot on with the GPS speed. TO confirm I tested with 2 GPS devices and both were identical. This surprised me, as my dash tacho is out by about 3km. SO when it shows 97, i'm doing a 100. I just assumed the scangauge then would be 3%.
    But I got to 12% before it actually began showing the right speed. Interesting. This means whatever fuel stuff it was showing me thus far, was more 12% out ???
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Calibrated mine today and is surprised me. My scangauge is at +12% and is more or less spot on with the GPS speed. TO confirm I tested with 2 GPS devices and both were identical. This surprised me, as my dash tacho is out by about 3km. SO when it shows 97, i'm doing a 100. I just assumed the scangauge then would be 3%.
    But I got to 12% before it actually began showing the right speed. Interesting. This means whatever fuel stuff it was showing me thus far, was more 12% out ???
    Depending on the fuel calibration as well then not necessarily 12% but, yes, it will have been out previously.

'Genuine' 33's over 'genuine' 31's will increase actual vehicle speed and therefore distance covered per revolution by over 6%.
    For the same speedo reading of 97 with 33's doing 100 actual if you had 31's at 97 on the speedo you would have been doing 94 ish actual.

Be aware that Odometers are not directly coupled to the Speedo and if a Speedo is out say 10% that does not mean the Odo is out by the same amount, indeed, the Odo is usually more accurate than the speedo due to teh vagaries of ADR compliance and the calibration procedures.

Now that the speed data from the ECU to your Scangauge has the compensation factor applied it now knows how far you are really travelling.
    When the fuel useage compensation is corrected it then knows how much fuel is being used from the ECU injector open timing.
    There is no standard figure because Chips, dirty injectors, differing fuel rail pressures etc etc all mean that each vehicle will be slightly different.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Hodge (16th January 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well explained mate as always. Cheers!
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Toucan , I also have the 2014 Titanium ( well its the wifes car ) & tow a 1.6 ton camper trailer , Just done 3200 odd clicks down to Tamworth & all the national parks & trails there & back we could fit in ( total of 6700km odd on clock ) . Worked out to be a average of 23.8 liters per 100 kilometer . We are back home last night & have booked it in to Nissan this morning . They cant fit it in until next Tuesday ( I will let you know the out come ) .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast