Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making eclipse AVN827ga sat nav work while driving

Just asking all
    If they have done anything to there sat/nav eclipse AVN827ga map side will not work unless the hand brake is on . Yes you can get around it by pulling the hand brake on one click . But the warning beep to tell you the hand brake is on drives me crazy . I know that it is a safety feature so driver wont use it , But thats the wifes job while we are driving .
    So any info or cheats to make it easy to change will be helpful .
    thx in advance George

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Connect the hand brake trigger wire for the AVN827 (light green) to earth instead of the handbrake switch
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Willee (25th July 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps evil twin just last question . So that would be pull the center consul out to get to hand brake switch ? Or back of sat nav to light green wire
    thanks George

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper* View Post
    Thanks heaps evil twin just last question . So that would be pull the center consul out to get to hand brake switch ? Or back of sat nav to light green wire
    thanks George
    I would go to the back of the Sat Nav just in case the installer picked an odd spot to splice into the vehicle handbrake.
    Also you can be sure you get the correct wire.
    The light green will probably still have the label on it.

Just earth it out to a screw behind the dash, even the Head Unit mounting screws will do.

I am working of the Eclipse installers manual for wire colour so should be correct but I cannot guarantee it.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 27th December 2014 at 03:24 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I might add that is the stupidiest set up I've ever heard of.
    What manuf in their right mind would program a Sat Nav Map that only works when the handbrake is on.

Yes, most will inhibit Video or TV which is fair enough but all the ones I am familiar with happily "map" when powered and then only inhibit some driver inputs when the vehicle is moving as sensed from the GPS or GPS/VSS.

Your not talking about trying to program destinations into the Unit on the fly are you?
    Last edited by the evil twin; 27th December 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 3,144 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I might add that is the stupidiest set up I've ever heard of.
    What manuf in their right mind would program a Sat Nav Map that only works when the handbrake is on.
    You will find that it will not let you ENTER or SEARCH for the address unless car is stopped, in park and/or hand brake is on. Once address or navigation point is entered and navigation begins, maps work fine even with hand brake off.
    I'm willing to bet this is whats happening to his unit.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    You will find that it will not let you ENTER or SEARCH for the address unless car is stopped, in park and/or hand brake is on. Once address or navigation point is entered and navigation begins, maps work fine even with hand brake off.
    I'm willing to bet this is whats happening to his unit.
    Thats what I am thinking as well now... OP doesn't read that way but maybe just an interpretation thing.
    Either that or the installer got the Handbrake and VSS wires mixed up :-)

Still sounds a bit suss tho and most (albeit not all) navigation units use VSS or GPS to decide if the vehicle is moving not the Handbrake.
    You can leave the handbrake sense disconnected on most Head Units and it won't affect GPS operation one iota, just means you can't play Vids.

If the Eclipse "works" (allows driver input) at 110 KPH zooming down the Freeway but with the Handbrake on 1 click that is also a stupid design fault

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes connecting the handbrake wire directly to earth on the AVN827GA will allow you to set destinations while moving.

I installed an aftermarket one in my vehicle. The system will also work without the VSS connected, although the map scrolling is not smooth.

I haven't tried a video.

Was the AVN827GA a factory fitted unit?