Thread: GU ZD30 Cranking but wont Run

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With the ignition on does the check engine light (MIL) and glow plug warning lights in the dash come on?

Does the vehicle have a chip fitted? Make sure the electrical connector at the IP is clean and fastened correctly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salmon3268 View Post
    I had that problem with my first patrol which had that engine. It stalled and I thought nothing off it till it wouldn't start. The RACQ guy kept pumping the fuel filter while I was turning the engine over. It turned out that the engine blew. I am hoping that its not that for you mate
    Just a couple of questions, was yours blowing any smoke? did you try to run yours with start ya bastard, as mine ran on it but s*** house, and were there any other symptoms to yours?
    Last edited by Danjo; 23rd December 2014 at 03:36 AM.
    2001 NISSAN PATROL GUIII 3.0, 33" A/Ts, 2" EFS Elite Lift, Dual Batteries, Boost Gauge, Spotties front and rear

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Back down into the tank via the return line?
    I recently had a similar issue (not with a Nissan) and it turned out to be electrical. The engine management system wasn't talking to the electronic injection properly. Any way of checking for codes? See the post from Hodge above about Supercheap.
    Yeah my brother said when he opened the return line, he had fuel, that was when priming with the hand pump though. would there be a difference between that and cranking the engine
    2001 NISSAN PATROL GUIII 3.0, 33" A/Ts, 2" EFS Elite Lift, Dual Batteries, Boost Gauge, Spotties front and rear

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
    Thanks Roofy, i'll try that it only happened on sat so i'm getting it towed to my old man's place today and i'll start there.

One other thing, after priming the fuel filter and it goin hard i'd crank the engine (it wouldn't start of course) and then i had to prime the fuel filter again. any ideas on where the fuel could go?
    The unused fuel would be returned to the tank I would think.

Yeah my brother said when he opened the return line, he had fuel, that was when priming with the hand pump though. would there be a difference between that and cranking the engine
    The difference is, when you use the hand primer, it sucks fuel from the tank and it comes out fine... Trouble is, you have the injector pump between the primer and the engine/injectors. The pump is your middle man and from the sounds of things that isn't working for you for some reason. Cranking the engine won't do jack unless you have diesel pumped by the injector pump to the injectors...
    I'd really be interested to see what / if any codes are on your system.
    Last edited by Hodge; 23rd December 2014 at 09:22 AM.
    2005 TD42TI

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does the red security light on top of the dash go out when you are trying to start the vehicle?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

gaddy (23rd December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Does the red security light on top of the dash go out when you are trying to start the vehicle?
    I fault tested and its the N.A.T.S i'm getting 1401 and 1405, so i'm looking into that now

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep looking for this red light at the top R/H corner of the dash and its just not there. Maybe the bulb blew, i'm not sure. I've only owned it a couple of weeks......................wait i went looking and found it under the dash mat
    Last edited by Danjo; 23rd December 2014 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    The unused fuel would be returned to the tank I would think.

The difference is, when you use the hand primer, it sucks fuel from the tank and it comes out fine... Trouble is, you have the injector pump between the primer and the engine/injectors. The pump is your middle man and from the sounds of things that isn't working for you for some reason. Cranking the engine won't do jack unless you have diesel pumped by the injector pump to the injectors...
    I'd really be interested to see what / if any codes are on your system.
    N.A.T.S 1401 and 1405

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the ignition on does the check engine light (MIL) and glow plug warning lights in the dash come on?

Does the vehicle have a chip fitted? Make sure the electrical connector at the IP is clean and fastened correctly.
    Not sure on the chip, but yeah all lights on the dash come on, its fault code has come up with N.A.T.S so i'll chase that first

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    N.A.T.S 1401 and 1405
    Not sure on the chip, but yeah all lights on the dash come on, its fault code has come up with N.A.T.S so i'll chase that first
    Yendor is your man here. He knows these things inside out then. I am glad and I hope it is only NATS stopping your engine from starting, as that is much much cheaper than the injector pump.
    2005 TD42TI

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Danjo (23rd December 2014)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast