Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GU ZD30 Cranking but wont Run

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU ZD30 Cranking but wont Run

Hi guys, I just bought a 2nd hand Patrol, I packed it for its Maiden trip on Saturday and i'd pulled up at a set of lights after driving for half an hour, went to take off and it stalled and wouldn't restart. It had stalled once or twice before over the couple weeks I've owned it and I didn't think much too much of it, because she runs great all other times.

Tried priming the pump to get it to run, no good.
    Tried start ya bastard, would run on that, but no good as if no fuel delivery.
    Tried cracking injector No.1 and primed for bout 20mins and still no fuel from injectors
    Tried removing the outlet line for the filter and there was a steady flow of fuel each time i primed the pump.

I had read somewhere that if you have fuel in the sub tank, it will use fuel from the sub tank to start and then switch over to the main. Can anyone confirm this for me, just curious because I'm unsure of how long the subtank had been empty and if it had air in its line, and if so if is there anyway to bleed that line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

Danjo
    2001 NISSAN PATROL GUIII 3.0, 33" A/Ts, 2" EFS Elite Lift, Dual Batteries, Boost Gauge, Spotties front and rear

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The car will never run off the sub tank, it will pump a small amount of fuel into main tank on start up, if there is fuel available to be pumped.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Danjo (22nd December 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This would have nothing to do with the sub tank.
    So If i understood this correctly... Fuel flows steady on the OUT line of the filter, but not at injector?
    This has the injector pump symptoms. Do you have access to a code reader like Scangauge or something? If not I'd head to super cheap, they charge a small fee to plug their device in and read for any codes. I'd start here, and could give you a heads up as to where it's gone pear shaped.
    2005 TD42TI

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Danjo (22nd December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    This would have nothing to do with the sub tank.
    So If i understood this correctly... Fuel flows steady on the OUT line of the filter, but not at injector?
    This has the injector pump symptoms. Do you have access to a code reader like Scangauge or something? If not I'd head to super cheap, they charge a small fee to plug their device in and read for any codes. I'd start here, and could give you a heads up as to where it's gone pear shaped.
    Yeah mate flow out the filter, but not injector, I've read that i can pressurize the fuel tank to try and push fuel out the injector (is this correct) and also read there's a bleed valve on the Injector pump itself that i can check?

One of my mates has a diagnostic tester for his turbo nissan pulsar would that work?

Thanks for the help guys
    Last edited by Danjo; 22nd December 2014 at 04:54 PM.
    2001 NISSAN PATROL GUIII 3.0, 33" A/Ts, 2" EFS Elite Lift, Dual Batteries, Boost Gauge, Spotties front and rear

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when was the last time the fuel filter was changed might be full of crap
    while the outlet runs free its only going over the top not through the filter
    try this first

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    when was the last time the fuel filter was changed might be full of crap
    while the outlet runs free its only going over the top not through the filter
    try this first
    Thanks Roofy, i'll try that it only happened on sat so i'm getting it towed to my old man's place today and i'll start there.

One other thing, after priming the fuel filter and it goin hard i'd crank the engine (it wouldn't start of course) and then i had to prime the fuel filter again. any ideas on where the fuel could go?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danjo View Post
    thanks roofy, i'll try that it only happened on sat so i'm getting it towed to my old man's place today and i'll start there.

One other thing, after priming the fuel filter and it goin hard i'd crank the engine (it wouldn't start of course) and then i had to prime the fuel filter again. Any ideas on where the fuel could go?

have checked the fuel line there maybe a fuel leak sounds like air in the line

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    have checked the fuel line there maybe a fuel leak sounds like air in the line
    i'll start looking for leaks tonight and we'll go with the fuel filter tomorrow, and i'll let you guys know i go.

Just to one of my earlier questions, can i pressurize my tank with compressed air and force fuel out my injectors or is it just to the bleed valve on the injector pump?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that problem with my first patrol which had that engine. It stalled and I thought nothing off it till it wouldn't start. The RACQ guy kept pumping the fuel filter while I was turning the engine over. It turned out that the engine blew. I am hoping that its not that for you mate

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjo View Post

One other thing, after priming the fuel filter and it goin hard i'd crank the engine (it wouldn't start of course) and then i had to prime the fuel filter again. any ideas on where the fuel could go?
    Back down into the tank via the return line?
    I recently had a similar issue (not with a Nissan) and it turned out to be electrical. The engine management system wasn't talking to the electronic injection properly. Any way of checking for codes? See the post from Hodge above about Supercheap.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast