OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with my UHF & how do I fix it?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also pop down to Cape Jaffa caravan park between 1st & 9th Jan and I could look at it there, then stick around and do a bit of sand driving.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (19th December 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. No I won’t be at Kris’ do but I’ll probably have a go at doing as you suggest after christmas & will come back here with my findings.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a thought from left field... Do you have led lighting that comes on with the ignition?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thought but no LED lighting which comes on with ignition. Cabin light is LED, but is not the cause. I had one light in our old bus which made the radio impossible to listen to, but not so in the Patrol. If only it were that easy!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugger...

I had a dodgy LED in a recent build that caused noise on a number of bands from 50MHz up through 500MHz. Apparently there are some dodgy components out of China (?who knew?) which exhibit an some form of avalanche breakdown not typically associated with LED's. The LED's I've put in the front bar blinkers have a similar effect due to the ringer circuit used to manage the voltage through the light, turn on the indicator and the radio would drop squelch every time the indicator turned on.

I eventually moved the radio to the rear of the truck, much less in the way of electronics to cause issues. (remote head).

Cheers
    J.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agronaught View Post
    Bugger...

I had a dodgy LED in a recent build that caused noise on a number of bands from 50MHz up through 500MHz. Apparently there are some dodgy components out of China (?who knew?) which exhibit an some form of avalanche breakdown not typically associated with LED's. The LED's I've put in the front bar blinkers have a similar effect due to the ringer circuit used to manage the voltage through the light, turn on the indicator and the radio would drop squelch every time the indicator turned on.

I eventually moved the radio to the rear of the truck, much less in the way of electronics to cause issues. (remote head).

Cheers
    J.
    Betcha don't have a Babel Fish handy to translate that for ya Cuppa?

(Sorry Agro... totally agree but couldn't resist a smartarrs comment)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Is the antenna coax one piece as in the only joins are at antenna and radio?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

Lol.

I feel the same way with some of the mechanical suggestions on this list... Electronics I know, mechanics not so much

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

Babelfish tells me ‘Avalanche breakdown’ = Everything falls in a big heap”
    ‘Ringer circuit’ = Either a) the automotive equivalent of a household ‘ring main’, b) a series of campanologist powered alternators or c) something rodeo entrants entertain themselves with in the off season.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Take your radio out and hook it up to a battery, an antenna and try it out. Use a knockometer on the unit and the cables. That way you can rule out an internal fault.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast