Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ironman 4x4 in Africa

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    I was wondering the exact same thing lol.
    And what model are those uses?? A long long wheel base by the looks of them.
    But great pictures. Must be a trip of a life time. Even if it is in a Toyota ;-)
    Hey Guys,

Got 5 min of wifi so I'll keep it short.

The plates on the back of the tyres are what they call brai, which is what they call a bbq plate over here. They are an interesting design as they have clamps that grip into the tyres (and are able to stay on with just that) but they also have a rachet strap to ensure they dont move. Pretty cool though (I've noticed a number of cool things over here like that).

The model of vehicle we are driving is a Landcruiser 79 series dual cab running the 1HZ (instead of the v8 that we have in AUS). Trust me when I say I'm missing the power of my ZD30 these things are slugs!

Talk again soon,

Cheers,

Matt
    Ironman 4x4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironman 4x4 For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (20th December 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff. Glad to see you enjoying my stamping ground.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've made it back to Aus, and now back in the office!

I'll do a bit of a write up over the next few days of exactly what I got up to!

Cheers,

Matt
    Ironman 4x4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironman 4x4 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (5th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    different being a well back dual cab I suspect they would have heaps of neat stuff for the safari rigs
    Welcome back have a great 2015
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    different being a well back dual cab I suspect they would have heaps of neat stuff for the safari rigs
    Welcome back have a great 2015
    It was actually a very interesting market. Most people there don't kit out their rigs nearly as much as we do in Aus. Nearly none have spotlights or led bars, and bullbars are still a rarity.

Touring rigs tend to all have tubs with mainly steel/aluminium canopies (I'm assuming they use steel/alloy canopies due to security). And most also run their stock suspension into the ground before upgrading. Even if they are driving nose up due to excess weight in the rear.

THey also have a large focus on roof racks and rooftop storage. They all tend to carry 2-6 jerry cans of fuel on the roof racks and store their tents up there too (a lot of large canvas tents or oztent style ground tents). They also all put their spare tyres on the roof. This includes patrols etc that have it on the rear door.

The other thing I've noticed is they don't often put their vehicles tyre pressure down. I got a few strangle looks and people chasing after me when running 25psi as they all thought I'd caught a puncture!

All terrains also tend to be very popular over there, and none of them have steel/aluminium trays. They are all style sides! The cool things I did see were some of the camping setups like kitchens where they have brackets/clamps to store salt shakers etc.

They also all tend to carry around and bring in firewood rather than forraging.

Cheers mate, definately going to have an awesome 2015!

Regards,

Matt
    Ironman 4x4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12