OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Help purchasing Battery Charger...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help purchasing Battery Charger...

Hi guys,
    I am in the market for a battery charger for the Maverick which has quite a large main battery. I have been looking at items such as:
    Projecta:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROJECTA-...item338734af53
    Chinese special - this caught my as they have sold 1300 units:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-ROSSI...item1e80025b03

I don't wish to spend much as batteries rarely go flat as i drive both vehicles regularly. Both chargers above are 15amp+, however do i need such a large charger or could i purchase something like the Projecta AC800:
    http://www.projecta.com.au/Products/...00&height=100%

There is plenty of specifications on each page - perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what i should pay attention to?
    cheers,
    Jonesy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    head into repco tomorrow and grab the repco branded one. I got one myself.

Its 7 stage which is great and the 8A one is about 80 bucks on special and the 16A is $150.

I've had it about a year and it has had quite a bit of use. I got the 8A one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to matfew For This Useful Post:

cgm (18th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matfew' lead sounds good. I think these days you definitely should get a modern multistage charger. They just take care of all the different types of batteries and you can leave them connected for a longer period without issue. If you trust all the writeups they can potentially even help recover a battery if it is not too far gone.
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

Just left Repco. I as going to purchase the Repco 8amp $89(on special) unit when one of the chaps brought out a new product their stocking which was heavily reduced. Its a Powertrain PTC1230, which I have not heard of before but has some nice specs and under $150 (reduced from $320?). I chose it over the Repco as it was listed as charging from 0V whereas the Repco charged from 2V - when I do run batteries flat I generally kill them so thought this unit might be worth a try. It is rated at 30amp but adjusts automatically to suit the battery attached (or so it says). The downside is that it only charges 12v and is bloody heavy and large so not suitable for carrying under the seat.... It was the last in the sotre so bought on a whim and I can return it for a different model if not happy. I'm a little concerned in that its ratings refer to 'Amp Hour' whereas all other chargers I have seen state 'CCA'. My Toyota Starlet uses a tiny battery which apparently this will adjust for but some sort of rating would be nice.
    What do you guys think, ever heard of this brand??
    There is some specifications here:
    http://www.rvworldstore.co.nz/power-...harger-12v-30a
    Model: PTC30
    Nominal voltage: 12V
    Charging current: 30A
    Type of charger: 8 Stage
    Battery capacity: 17-600Ah
    Suitable battery types: Wet, AGM, Gel, Calcium/Calcium
    Dimensions (mm): 295L x 235W x 90H
    Warranty: 1 year
    Safety Protection: Short Circuit, Reverse Polarity, Open Circuit Zero Output, High Temperature

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonesy_sa For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (20th December 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Says all the right things. Time will tell, gotta wonder why the big price drop tho.
    Btw whilst I understand your logic about choosing a charger which will charge from 0v rather than 2v, if you have a battery as low as 2v it’ll probably be just as dead as one at 0v. a 12v battery with a reading of 11.5v is considered to be dead flat. Anything below 12.0v is going to significantly shorten their life. If you must take them that low, the sooner you recharge them the better, sitting at low voltage is like slowly strangling them to death.

More on chargers in this other thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...388#post564388
    Attached Images Attached Images

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Repco 8 amp charger as well and it seems like a good unit. The only thing I don't like about it is its not sealed against the elements like C-Tek/Projecta which are IP44-65 rated (water/dust resistant). You can see the circuit board through the air vents. Not something to leave attached to the battery in a dusty/damp car port for long periods of time.

I paid $150 3 years ago when Repco first started selling them (and that was on special) so $89 is pretty good value if anyone is looking for a decent cheapie that they can use in the garage.
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 20th December 2014 at 08:47 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys,

Brought the unit home from work tonight and it is really nice, good solid build! Great specs, if one can trust them, and amazing price. However, I have decided to return it for the 8 amp Repco for one reason, SIZE! It's impossible to sit under the hood neatly and negates removal of the battery for charging. It's design appears for bench-top or permanent mount such as a caravan to charge multiple 12v battery arrays.

My main and auxiliary batteries must both be flat so it will get a work first few days.

Edit: Main battery isn't as large as i thought marine grade 15 plate 560cca
    Last edited by Jonesy_sa; 19th December 2014 at 09:36 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonesy_sa For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy_sa View Post
    Hi guys,

Just left Repco. I as going to purchase the Repco 8amp $89(on special) unit when one of the chaps brought out a new product their stocking which was heavily reduced. Its a Powertrain PTC1230, which I have not heard of before but has some nice specs and under $150 (reduced from $320?). I chose it over the Repco as it was listed as charging from 0V whereas the Repco charged from 2V - when I do run batteries flat I generally kill them so thought this unit might be worth a try. It is rated at 30amp but adjusts automatically to suit the battery attached (or so it says). The downside is that it only charges 12v and is bloody heavy and large so not suitable for carrying under the seat.... It was the last in the sotre so bought on a whim and I can return it for a different model if not happy. I'm a little concerned in that its ratings refer to 'Amp Hour' whereas all other chargers I have seen state 'CCA'. My Toyota Starlet uses a tiny battery which apparently this will adjust for but some sort of rating would be nice.
    What do you guys think, ever heard of this brand??
    There is some specifications here:
    http://www.rvworldstore.co.nz/power-...harger-12v-30a
    Model: PTC30
    Nominal voltage: 12V
    Charging current: 30A
    Type of charger: 8 Stage
    Battery capacity: 17-600Ah
    Suitable battery types: Wet, AGM, Gel, Calcium/Calcium
    Dimensions (mm): 295L x 235W x 90H
    Warranty: 1 year
    Safety Protection: Short Circuit, Reverse Polarity, Open Circuit Zero Output, High Temperature
    That is a very good charger, with specs like that for professional HD use and for multiple batteries. Ah rating is standard rating for battery sizes/capacity e.g. average 4WD battery will be around 80-100 Ah. Biggest I've seen in trucks are 225 Ah so I only wonder what sort od monster is 600 Ah, must be for 12V banks/arrays.

Cheers

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it was able to charge 12v bank arrays. Swapped it for the Repco 8amp. Feel and finish is not as good but size wise it is much more convenient!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question. With these multistage chargers is their no need to remove the plugs? The manual says remove plugs, check and fill level, replace plugs...begin charging.