Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buying a 1992 RB42 Advice

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Evil - it's a manual 4.2 Petrol EFI (never been on Gas), yeah the general consensus has been it's a decent buy so far feeling comfortable at the moment. Will give it a bit of a thrashing tomorrow night.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrol.jpg
    Got him to send me a photo

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krisoder View Post
    Hi Evil - it's a manual 4.2 Petrol EFI (never been on Gas), yeah the general consensus has been it's a decent buy so far feeling comfortable at the moment. Will give it a bit of a thrashing tomorrow night.
    Sweet... those are Ti Mags... does it have leather seats/factory diff lock/sway bar disconnect or combo thereof?

Oddly enough it doesn't have cornering lamps in the guards which is another thing for the Series 2 so check the year and model

Mine was an '94 Auto Rx on Gas but definitely one of the best value 4X's I've had.
    Other than normal consumables... mine never missed a beat the whole time I had it, prev owner said the same and current owner hasn't had any hassles either.

2 Inch lift, 33 tyres, front diff lock and off you go
    Last edited by the evil twin; 18th December 2014 at 02:02 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

krisoder (18th December 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha the lift and the wheels are the first thing i'll do to her - then the diff lock. There does seem to be a bit of for and against whether to get the diff locker on the front or the rear - I'm thinking both eventually, but one at a time I suppose.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha the lift and the wheels are the first thing i'll do to her - then the diff lock. There does seem to be a bit of for and against whether to get the diff locker on the front or the rear - I'm thinking both eventually, but one at a time I suppose.
    Should be either factory diff lock or LSD rear... you only need to add a front locker and then only if you do a lot of sand or gnarly stuff.

Double check the year and model designation tho... I would have said it was series 1 from the front guards (no cornering lamps) but not sure if the DX had them
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't think of that, thanks for the info on the tyres. Didn't want them to rub is all.

Out of curiosity, got this quote from ARB for the 2-inch lift.

Springs + shocks + steering dampener + gearbox spacer + wheel alignment + fitting $2100

Sound ok? I don't know, I actually thought it'd be around $1500 - my uncle just got the same thing done to his Disco 2 for around $1600 from them. They're charging a bit more for the Patrols, all Old Man Emu gear.
    Tell them shove it lol.
    Springs and shocks are easy to fit and require some basic spanners, and a jack lol..
    Very do-able in the driveway.
    And the 2" lift will only need springs and shocks.
    The gearbox spacers ain't needed..
    Alignment also is optional.
    The steering wheel will be slightly off centre when straight but that's an easy fix by removing the wheel an rotating it back straight.
    And unless your steering dampener is shot it'll be ok.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    Tell them shove it lol.
    Springs and shocks are easy to fit and require some basic spanners, and a jack lol..
    Very do-able in the driveway.
    And the 2" lift will only need springs and shocks.
    The gearbox spacers ain't needed..
    Alignment also is optional.
    The steering wheel will be slightly off centre when straight but that's an easy fix by removing the wheel an rotating it back straight.
    And unless your steering dampener is shot it'll be ok.
    Haha, I thought about attempting it myself. To say "I'm no mechanic", would be a massive understatement though. My cousins boyfriend can do it, turned his Hilux into an absolute beast himself. I kind of don't want to go and buy the kit off ebay though, people tell me bad stories... Things not fitting right ect... And I would like to replace the dampener too, can that be done at home?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes 2 nuts and its off. Dead easy. As is fitting a lift kit. There are millions of YouTube videos that explain a lot of this. Worth having a look.
    IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    Tell them shove it lol. Springs and shocks are easy to fit and require some basic spanners, and a jack lol.. Very do-able in the driveway. And the 2" lift will only need springs and shocks. The gearbox spacers ain't needed.. Alignment also is optional. The steering wheel will be slightly off centre when straight but that's an easy fix by removing the wheel an rotating it back straight. And unless your steering dampener is shot it'll be ok.
    Yeah, nah. You should do the alignment and check the castor angle too because some 2 inch lifts will require castor correction. This can be done when you do tyres. I would also do the steering damper. As far as the steering wheel goes, it will be off centre a little (mine is too) but I didn't bother changing it because I had always intended to add an adjustable drag link which will fix that (I now have one I need to install).
    Gearbox spacers, meh...I wouldn't bother.
    The price sounds high-ish but includes labour too I suppose.
    My feeling is they have just quoted you list and I would go and get a price for an equivalent Tough Dog kit and maybe TJM or Ironman and use that as leverage to get them to drop their price.
    And Westy is right in saying it's not a hard job, in fact if you want a reference I think the latest issue of 4wd Action has a write up on how to do the install of a 2 inch kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to avoid removing the steering wheel to correct an uneven position, because then you lose the actual centre position of the steering box. When you hold the steering wheel left or right, or anything that's not centre, the power steering pump and box are actually working(pumping fluid).

Like Drew said, an adjustable drag link is the best method to correct this.
    IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast