Thread: Buying a 1992 RB42 Advice

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krisoder View Post
    Maybe it is the Carby model seemed like a good deal to me, no good? I know it might be a little thirsty...
    Got a pic of the engine bay? Or a link to the ad with pics?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sprin...bar/1065274592

Link here. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe it is the Carby model seemed like a good deal to me, no good? I know it might be a little thirsty...
    It could be Efi there are more than a few that were changed by owners over the years.

The Efi came out in the series 2 so there are some other tweaks and advantages as well.
    I didn't have to tune mine the whole time I had it for example.
    Changed the plugs once and that was it.
    The carby boys always seem to be arrsing around with the ignition system.

You get a taddy bit more power and torque and the power band is better from the Efi, so is fuel economy but fuel economy and GQ Patrol are diametrically opposed concepts
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    stock as a rock carby with gas, looks tidy enough in the pics. I'm personally not a fan of gas.... too much fiddling around with trying to get it set up right on each fuel. Also think they're asking a little bit too much.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thats a Carby... see the manifold, carby and air filter on the drivers side.

IMHO you can do better, maybe something like these ones (I assume you are in Vic).
    Just be patient, good ones crop up every day and be prepared to travel to maybe SA or Lower NSW depends where you are

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/montm...500/1061325300

or

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lalor...gon/1064764497
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first link is the one I was going to buy actually, he listed it apparently. Actually now for sale... Unfortunately, because it's a find. The second link I saw today but wrote it off because of the KMS and auto. I was after manual. Am I being too picky though?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just test drove that carby one. Bloody pig, couldn't get out of there fast enough... Not worth the money.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The second link I saw today but wrote it off because of the KMS and auto. I was after manual. Am I being too picky though?
    What type of driving would you like to do?
    There's pros and cons for everything. I think you mentioned you just want it as a weekend play toy? Would you be more into touring or harder stuff? Day trips, or camping out of? Tough play toy or family comfort?
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like 70% rough stuff 30% touring. I want her to drive ok, but understand it'll be rough as guts because I'm looking to get into a lot more rough 4WD'ing this one was terrible though. Gears were soo soo rough to change and one of the rear Windows was rusted pretty bad. We drive from VIC to Cobar and Bourke a few times a year for hunting, so a pretty long uncomfortable drive there but I want to do more day trips.
    Last edited by krisoder; 20th December 2014 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like 70% rough stuff 30% touring. I want her to drive ok, but understand it'll be rough as guts because I'm looking to get into a lot more rough 4WD'ing this one was terrible though. Gears were soo soo rough to change and one of the rear Windows was rusted pretty bad. We drive from VIC to Cobar and Bourke a few times a year for hunting, so a pretty long uncomfortable drive there but I want to do more day trips.
    You didn't mention a lot of that prev.

If you are doing 70% rough stuff then body condition etc should be low on the list.
    No point spending the cash on an immaculate car and taking it into rough work 70% of the time.
    I'ds spend the money to get a truck with honest dings and a bit of pinstriping that is already partially set up.
    Having said that you do need to look closely for rust and rear windows is one of the prime spots on the GQ's.

Carby's go almost as well as EFI when they are on song but go off tune much more easily.
    Don't expect a hell of a lot of oomph from a GQ no matter what engine (stock) is in it.
    It's the old story... How fast you want to go is directly proportional to how much money you spend and GQ's don't go fast out of the box.

If you are doing that much rough stuff and pigging out that way I'd be trying to find a Diesel.
    You'll save the extra bucks in fuel and find the extra range from onboard tankage very handy I reckon.
    The EFI can get very thirsty in the bush and the Carby can drink like a Wharfie.
    That is one of the main reasons I sold my petrol, the hassle of keeping fuel up to it in outback WA was a pain.

I then bought a heavily worked TD42 GQ with aftermarket Turbo that went gangbusters with a 4 inch lift and 35's.
    Awesome off road, scary MoFo on the bitumen.
    Sold that for a very nicely set up CRD which was a terrific tourer and not bad in the gnarly stuff and now have a GU extra cab with the Chev in it.

IMHO if you are talking stock engine or lightly modified in the terms of a GQ doing significant work the TD42 is a no brainer for the Aussie Bush and Outback.
    The drive train is near enough the same on all engine options anyway and if the diffs and transfer haven't been drowned or abused are recognised as the best you can get so will last as long as the pyramids.

Apology for the long post.
    Just trying to highlight that it will be important to get something that suits from the get go rather than always thinking "This is an awesome truck, I only wish it had a ....... (manual, auto, EFI, Diesel, sunroof, jacuzzi or whatever).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

taslucas (20th December 2014)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345