Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winch Solenoids, which one?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Winch Solenoids, which one?

So I believe I have a dud warn solenoid, they have done me well for the years they have been sitting on the front of the bullbar but I believe it is time to upgrade to a newer style of solenoid.

So far the options I have looked at are the Gigglepin Albright solenoid from Smithi engineering at $181.50

Gigglepin-Albright-Super-Duty-Winch-Solenoid-12V

or the TG Thompson one from Roadrunner at $64.00

TG Thompson 500A Winch solenoid 12v - www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au

From the research I've done the Albright seems to the favourite with some people, but for almost three times the price than the TG Thompson is it actually worth it?

In my Google searches I found that the roadrunner ones may potentially actually be supplied by Tigerz11? Are there different quality Thompson style solenoids and ones I should be avoiding. Also I've read about a Tigerz11 Thompson solenoid spontaneously combusting and causing fire damage to a vehicle I personally don't like or want anything Tigerz11 on my car.

If money was no issue I would probably go the Albright, but just wanting to know peoples thoughts on the TG Thompson and if the current road runner ones are any good?

Is there any other suggestions on quality or style of winch solenoid?

I've also looked on ebay and as far as I can tell it is a mine field with all sorts of different styles and prices. I think I would prefer to at least buy from a shop that has a website or even local over a dodgy ebay one for the simple back up support etc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

lucus30 (17th December 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ran a Titan for a long time and it did very very well. i have had one fail that was from a Supawinch and ripped out my well used Titan from my GQ and fitted it to the GU. I am going a full 24v Himount and have purchased an Allbright for it as the best of the best. i would not fit anything with any association to TigerZII.

There is a guy on FB that is selling the Allbright for $125 at the moment. otherwise give Phil Carr a call at the 4WD Shed in Bayswater and he will do you a good deal and send it to you. tell him you are form here and Darren sent you.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

cgm (17th December 2014), sooty_10 (17th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After similar questions and answers in Kallen's winch thread the other day, I found the same prices and stalled.

I see he has it for $155 + postage, which looks like $12 = $167 on his public page. Might just go ahead and do that. Better make up my mind or Santa might have spent all the money ... Mine is still working at the moment, so maybe I should wait until the new year anyway.
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your oth chasing one give Phil a call at the 4WD Shed and see if he will do you a "Forum" price or a better price for buying 2. Tell him I sent you and he should look after you.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

cgm (17th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'll pm Sooty_10 my contact details and between us we can chase it up tomorrow.

Thanks Darren.
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cgm For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Tigerz11 control box some years ago to replace my crappy warn solenoids. It came with the box (complete with solid state solenoids), all new battery cables (the main positive cable has an in line "twist" switch), new hand control lead, PLUS a complete wireless remote control set up. It even came with a wiring diagram to hook it up to a warn! The price when I bought it was $99 delivered but that was a few years ago. It has worked perfectly ever since.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of pics I happen to have of a TG Thompson type solenoid being dismantled.

I don't see a lot in there that could contribute to spontaneous combustion..

John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All it takes is a short and that housing can melt and catch fire. It may not even be the first place to catch fire but it may be where the short is

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean a short as in somebody wrongly connecting cables? Couldn't that apply to any solenoid in that case?
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it is a WARN I usually bite the bullet (and the Visa card) and replace the factory solenoids and stick with the original setup.
    WARN use twin solenoids to switch Field and Armature because it is less likely to cause uncommanded overruns but that is like, maybe, thousands to 1 of happening unless you get a cheapshit 4 point contactor.

Having said that... good quality 4 Point Contactors are very reliable as well.
    Cheap POS ones aren't.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast