Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Madigan Line

Has anyone got a .gpx file or other format that they would be willing to share?

I am after any sort of advice or trip reports and fuel usage reports etc. that I can get my grubby hands on before committing to a trip in July 2015.

Cheers & thanks in advance
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a chat with daz you lucky bastard, this is high up my list to do
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...igan-Line-2012

Thanks
    Thanked 7,986 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a gpx file from when I did the Madigan in 2010 and a track log of our trip.
    The track log misses the Madigan Camps from 19 on as we got trapped by flooding and had to work out a way past Eyre Creek.
    PM me your email and I will send it to you as I don't think we can load them on here.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate, I did get your message the other day, I have been under the weather and not on a computer to respond to you.

You indicate that you are interested in the first half of the Madigan to the Hey River track, this is a great section and I would encourage you to do it. The track gets very difficult beyond the Hey River intersection and I would say its by far the most difficult. We spent 3 days in Low 1st driving continuous Wombat holes at full flex side to side. Full on.

The half your keen on is good fun and you should not have a great deal of trouble. I think I have the way points too. LiftLid also did this and did most of the prep for our crossing and would be a great source of info on permits and what have you for camp 5 etc.

We did the full length and found from camp 1 through to 24 I think. I used 210 lts of fuel in my GUIvTD42. I used the most in my group. Fuel ranged from I think about 180lt to 210 lts.

Camp 1 was difficult to find as there was legitimately No Track to this location. The track was intermittent for the first couple of days. You really are driving from way point to way point on your GPS and using track where it exists and driving rough when it doesn't.

Hope that helps some.

Yell out if you need anything more or post here and I will happily input whatever I can. Gary may chime in also.

Regards Darren
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (13th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a snapshot of what we did.
    We had a Hilux D4, a Prado petrol, a Cruiser diesel and a Patrol 4.8l petrol.
    Our fuel economy varied greatly, the best being the Hilux that used about 180 L and the worst was the Patrol that used 340 L and ran out at Big Red.
    This was my favorite desert trip and was made more fun by the flooding but it was tough going and long days and lots of punctures that we repaired ourselves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (13th December 2014), gaddy (12th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Sorry mate, I did get your message the other day, I have been under the weather and not on a computer to respond to you.

You indicate that you are interested in the first half of the Madigan to the Hey River track, this is a great section and I would encourage you to do it. The track gets very difficult beyond the Hey River intersection and I would say its by far the most difficult. We spent 3 days in Low 1st driving continuous Wombat holes at full flex side to side. Full on.

The half your keen on is good fun and you should not have a great deal of trouble. I think I have the way points too. LiftLid also did this and did most of the prep for our crossing and would be a great source of info on permits and what have you for camp 5 etc.

We did the full length and found from camp 1 through to 24 I think. I used 210 lts of fuel in my GUIvTD42. I used the most in my group. Fuel ranged from I think about 180lt to 210 lts.

Camp 1 was difficult to find as there was legitimately No Track to this location. The track was intermittent for the first couple of days. You really are driving from way point to way point on your GPS and using track where it exists and driving rough when it doesn't.

Hope that helps some.

Yell out if you need anything more or post here and I will happily input whatever I can. Gary may chime in also.

Regards Darren
    I think you said it was 2010 that you did this before, what month were you there?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    I think you said it was 2010 that you did this before, what month were you there?
    No it was 2012 and we were there in June July. Here is a thread I did back then.

MudRunnerTD-doing-the-Madigan-Line-2012
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    No it was 2012 and we were there in June July. Here is a thread I did back then.

MudRunnerTD-doing-the-Madigan-Line-2012
    We must have almost crossed paths, I did the first part of the Madigan early July 2012 before heading off to the geographical center and geo-survey hill.
    That was another great trip and very challenging.

Looking at this I think we were in the Birdsville pub the same night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TPC; 13th December 2014 at 12:10 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (13th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol, must have been close then. 11th July 2012 I was at the pub. We lost a day at Camp 20 when we got lost at the lake and could not find our way around the bloody thing.

Camp 20 was washed out but we found the stake and did a repair and re-engraved it and put it back in the ground.

I have read about the Geocentre and would love to do that. Might head back and do an East West Madigan line and Geo Centre trip one day.

Small group, 3 or 4 vehicles max.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah wow! Just looked at your Log!! Wow we were bloody close then. Dd not hear a whisper on a radio or see a soul for 8 days except at the hey river crossing where we met a few running the hey river track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast