Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Madigan Line

Thanks
    Thanked 7,985 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked and we were a day behind you.
    You are right about keeping the group small for that trip, we had 5 vehicles and that was pushing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th December 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome info, thanks guys and I will lean on your experiences some more as we get closer.

I've got 245 litres of fuel capacity in the Patrol, but I'm not yet sure how thirsty the Chev will be with all the low-range work.

If we only do the section from the Hay River Rd West, then I am hoping fuel won't be such an issue.

How bad are the dunes in that section if traveling from East to West?
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,985 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    Awesome info, thanks guys and I will lean on your experiences some more as we get closer.

I've got 245 litres of fuel capacity in the Patrol, but I'm not yet sure how thirsty the Chev will be with all the low-range work.

If we only do the section from the Hay River Rd West, then I am hoping fuel won't be such an issue.

How bad are the dunes in that section if traveling from East to West?
    The dunes are mostly steeper on the eastern side so going east to west will be harder and will use more fuel, you will encounter 30m sandhills that are very sharp and no defined track for parts.
    Have you done any Simpson trips before?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I'm back, using the ipad, as the phone app buggered up
    If you need any more info pm me your email and I will send you what I have.
    Another mate of Darren and mine is starting his second attempt at the Madigan next year.
    I've heard from somebody that did it recently that the track is more defined they took 3days hay river way
    Navigation should be easier going east-west between colson Track and the twins as there are many vague tracks in that area
    I would suggest spring tower reinforcement with the weight you will Cary
    I used 190lt diesel and had to replace all the suspension bushes when we got home
    It has less firewood than the French line so prepare for that, lots of people have done it since us.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liftlid For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (13th December 2014), MudRunnerTD (13th December 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes it got Cold at night. Woke up to -1 to -5 most mornings. Spring tower bracing for the win for sure. Fire wood will be a big deal I think too. We made a point of gathering wood from lunchtime or whenever we saw it to ensure we had a fire each night. There were 4 cars in our group and we put wood on the roof of every car. Not really much Big wood so you could use a bit. If you can take a couple of bags of Redgum though then the small stuff should be easy enough to find to get you going then small fires with your Redgum will be a real bonus.

When we did the Simpson Meetup I expected to buy wood from a servo on the way as it is commonly available at most servos in Vic. Forget it! Once we left home we did not see firewood in bags at servos again and had to find it in the desert. We were lucky.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers - no, haven't done the desert before, but our group are fairly experienced Cape Yorkers and remote trips are favourites. That said we are however accutely aware that we could be biting off more than we can chew and are closely analysing whether we should just do the French Line/Rig Rd, etc. etc. and leave this alone until we have a better feel for the desert. There would be a Cruiser Ute, a Defender and two Patrols in the group, all well equipped. Yes, spring towers have been reinforced. We'll research and plan first, then make a decision on a Go/No Go. Plan B is to just cross the french Line, and then maybe plan further for a second run the year after, if the Kimberly's don't get in the way...

Thanks for the tips on firewood and temperatures too, and the best direction to attack it from.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The desert is easier from west to East everywhere you go,the dunes are steeper from the East. Given your lack of desert travel you may consider doing the east west crossing of the French line and consider your options at Mt Dare. Assuming everyone has travelled well then head north to Old Andando and do a West to East crossing of the first half of the Madigan to the Hey river track and head south from there. Your would have to sort out your permits in advance regardless but Thai would be doable and a great way to have a go.

As stated the second half is tough going. But as Gary said, plenty of traffic since 2012 when we crossed so it may well be a fare bit easier than it was then.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (14th December 2014), TPC (14th December 2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12