OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your solar panel connections!?!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show me your solar panel connections!?!

i'll not be using the regulator on the panels i buy as i got the ctek - if anyone else does similar can you please show me how you connect from your solar panels? i.e. what plug types and what size cable

i'll be hooking up with an SB50 Anderson Plug from my truck to 5 metres of 8B&S cable - but once i get to the ned of that cable i'm lost on how to attach to the 120watt foldable panels?

Do I just connect them with a SB50 Anderson Plug or something different?

Also whats the difference between an SB50 and an SBS50?

thanks heap!
    Last edited by bishbashbosh; 9th December 2014 at 09:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Billy, have a look at the beginning of my video & you might see how I used anderson plugs to connect to the solar panels.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsRR0z69t3I

The Anderson web site might be useful too - http://andersonpower.com.au, not sure what the difference between SBS & SB is.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

bishbashbosh (10th December 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the looks mine is Much the same as cuppa.

I've just removed the reg and replaced it with an Anderson plug on each of my panels. I've also made a splitter as I've got 2x 120w and run them to the splitter then via 2x 10m extension to the car/camper(if needed obviously less is best).

I've got a plug on the bull bar that runs to the ctek so connecting it is easy, if camping for extended periods with the camper I have a ctek in that also with a plug on the front and back

Your ctek can take 250w of solar also

You can get pack of 10 Anderson plugs on ebay for a good price also

6. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys - have put an order through at andersonpower.. the owner shane seems pretty decent and responds quick and helpful!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also only buy the grey Anderson plugs the coloured ones dont fit the grey and vice versa.
    Best to use what everyone else uses in case you need to swap/share gear out bush
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

9. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup i thought that so am all grey in plugs!!!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Also only buy the grey Anderson plugs the coloured ones dont fit the grey and vice versa.
    Best to use what everyone else uses in case you need to swap/share gear out bush
    If you mean the coloured ones that pull apart they do fit the grey ones but you have to pull them apart and plug them in separately

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF you want to follow the Anderson recommendation, the YELLOW ones are for 12V. Of course it seems many folk have NOT followed their recommendation so end up with GREY which are 36V. It appears a) many males don't (or won't) read instructions and b) many distributors stock GREY preferentially to continue propagating the misconception that it is the standard for 12V.

The coloured Anderson connectors typically have different keyways in the plastic so that they only mate with the same colour. e.g. a yellow SB50 wont mate with a grey SB50.

To learn about this:

http://www.andersonpower.com/literature/datasheets.html

and download and READ the "Powerpole and Multipole Power Connectors" datasheet.

This is the pertinent page on colour selection:

I use YELLOW SB50 Anderson connectors on my vehicles. I do have a yellow/grey short 'extension' so that if necessary I can interface to the non-reading population...

cheers,
    george.
    US: '97 S/C 1FZ 80 Cruiser White, locked^3,sliders,arb,kaymar,m12000,dual bats,King Remotes front/Radflo Remotes rear,LEDs,etc..... ki6ibx
    OZ: '80 T/C SD33 MQ Patrol White, locked F/R, rack,sliders,arb,tyre carrier,8274,dual bats,LEDs,etc....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to georges80 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (13th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks George, I hadn’t been aware of that, good to learn something new.

I suppose it’s fair to say that most folk use a single voltage regime & that any of the Anderson plugs would work, but the prevention of ‘cross use’ between different voltage setups is necessary in some environments.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use both.

The 55 amper for battery connections, the smaller plugs for equipment. The smaller andersons are fairly standard in amateur radio and growing in popularity in some of the rescue organisations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast