Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grass seeds in the radiator!

Just wondering what everyone does to a) clean the grass seeds and bugs and crap out of the radiator and b) prevent them getting in their in the first place?

I have seen some 4wd's getting around with shade-cloth zip-tied to the bullbar, or cut to size and fixed to the front grille. Is this the answer or does that cause possible overheating due to lack of airflow. Then again, it can't be worse than the effects of a radiator full of grass seeds...
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the fly mesh over the front. Looks crap.
    I'd slip it directly in front of the radiator.
    I'd also use that pet proof stiff.
    It's steel so will aid in protecting the radiators against the bigger bugs to.
    And it's all hidden
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (11th December 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can buy fitted to the grill ones from auto spares places but i havent seen one for a patrol as yet but i havent looked either, i would just use flywire plastic screen and cable tie it onto the grill and remove it as you need to.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old school... Fly wire mesh (steel) from some window on our house from years ago. I've had the mesh on the front of the patrol for at least 15 years, radiator is totally bug free, grass free etc. Perfect fit with steel surround, so drilled through to fasten and it provides structural support to the steel mesh. You can even see a few seeds stuck in the mesh from a trip out to the desert just a few days before the picture was taken. Quick brush and it's all clean again.

Total expense $0.

cheers,
    george.
    US: '97 S/C 1FZ 80 Cruiser White, locked^3,sliders,arb,kaymar,m12000,dual bats,King Remotes front/Radflo Remotes rear,LEDs,etc..... ki6ibx
    OZ: '80 T/C SD33 MQ Patrol White, locked F/R, rack,sliders,arb,tyre carrier,8274,dual bats,LEDs,etc....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to georges80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wheat is the worst offender here. The seed is exactly the right size and shape to get caught in the core of the Chevy rad that Brunnies use.

My 6.5 Chev was an ex wheat farmers Ute and I reckon I got about 10 bushels out of the Rad and Cabin

Anyway...
    a) only 100% way is to take the rad out and I esp recommend that for GQ owners as the bottom bit on a Q is very prone to bugs and seeds rotting the core out

b) I have found shade cloth is better for seed than fly mesh over in WA but I haven't tried midge mesh
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rummaged through the pics of my last car (a Navara D40) and found one below that shows the removable mesh I used. Really good in the wheat belt when the locust plagues hit and for bugs (moths etc) when heading home at sunset.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 GU Patrol ST ute, 3.0L CRD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clawrence For This Useful Post:

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I have hosed the crap out of it from the inside and also used compressed air. I think I got most of it and a lot seems to have come up from the underside more so than straight through the front grille, which is to be expected I suppose.

At this stage, I am leaning towards the zip-tie method with some coarse shade cloth (as I have some handy) and only putting it on when needed.

I'll pull the radiator next year before a big trip as part of a preventative maintenance plan and give it all a thorough clean.

Thanks for the tips.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.