Thread: Aldi 10" pad

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    I've got a Samsung Galaxy tab 3, it's got all the good stuff ie: expandable memory, GPS and it's even a giant sized phone as it takes a Sim card oh its an 8in screen. Definitely worth the $400 I paid for it.
    G'day coop, it will have 3g sim card for mobile data only, not for calls..... Pretty sure I'm correct but very happy to be proven wrong

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I've tried my phone Sim in it and it will make and receive calls just like a phone; i was quite surprised, it's handy if ever my phone poops itself, telstra tell me that it's 1 of the only one available that does. Hope this helps

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coop For This Useful Post:

Clunk (12th January 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can definitely recommend an android samsung tablet, I have a note 10.1 (I love the little pen for drawings etc) and it runs the Hema explorer map. Since Nokia made their navigation map free, you now basically have tomtom style navigation as well with traffic updates if connected to the internet. If you have one of the modern Patrols with OBD2, you can even connect that up and see important values through some specific apps such a torque. (sadly this isnt able with the GU97 because it uses the old style nissan consult).

Having said that, windows 8.1 tablets are nowadays only 100 bucks in the US. So if you like to run windows rather than android then you can pick up a modern tablet for not much. Just keep in mind that a lot of windows tablet will not have a built in GPS.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah this is one thing you don't want to skimp on I reckon. My mate bought a cheap 10 inch tablet for his daughter. I warned him not too and to buy a second hand decent tablet if he didn't want to spend the coin. He paid the price.... it's that slow and useless his daughter refuses to use it and just uses his mobile phone instead. Picture quality was back from the 80 ' s too. 600 x 480 VGA had better colour reproduction than this thing.
    I did much the same thing,got one for a $1 when we bought the misses her laptop,thought it would be good for miss 13...absolutely useless even for a dollar..bugger all memory...
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Clunk (12th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, I've tried my phone Sim in it and it will make and receive calls just like a phone; i was quite surprised, it's handy if ever my phone poops itself, telstra tell me that it's 1 of the only one available that does. Hope this helps
    Thanks mate, very good to know........

Thanks
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Trouble with alot of cheap tablets is they won't allow you to store apps on the external micro sd card. With only 8gb of on board memory it will fill up fast.

The rest of the specs look ok, nothing special but it's only a cheap Chinese jobbie. In regards to purchasing it, that's you're choice but I wouldn't as there's no telling what it's actually like.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Samsung is 16 gb and it let's me save my app,s to the memory card which is good if the tablet ever shits itself.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Samsung is 16 gb and it let's me save my app,s to the memory card which is good if the tablet ever shits itself.
    Check also if you have automatic restore on in the settings. That way if your tablet get lost or broken and have to be replaced, the apps will download automatically to your new tablet.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Honestly mate, i would spend 200 or so for an older but known brand tablet. Like has been said, the cheaper chinese clones have play store and other problems. Buy an old samsung or asus. The asus TC100 is 199 at officeworks atm, the tab is around 250. Yes it is twice as much as the cheapo but it last longer and will be more userfriendly. I love gadgets and played around with a lot of chinese stuff, sometimes it is great value for money but expect to spend many hours to keep it running well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast