OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift Kit Suspension Comparison Thread - Where can I find this?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lift Kit Suspension Comparison Thread - Where can I find this?

Hi all. I'm wanting to put a lift kit suspension on my GQ SWB. Is there a thread comparing the different options out there? And by looking at my rig, any suggestions on what might work best? It's a 1990 Diesel. I'll be using the Patrol mainly for overland travel, no rock crawling, but I am anticipating lots of mud and steep, mountainous ascents.

P1120232.JPGP1120214.JPG

Pics of my current set up that I'm looking to replace and upgrade...

IMG_3108.jpgIMG_3105.JPG
    IMG_3103.JPGIMG_3112.JPG
    Last edited by InterFJ; 1st December 2014 at 09:29 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not seen a comparison thread as such,
    but most guys will help you in a few recommendations.......

unfortunately (?) for us in Australia, we have a large range to choose from, as well as some people buying gear off the USA

depending on your Countries Laws with vehicles, depends on what you can legally get away with - most States in Aust only allow 4" max - 2" lift & 2" body

a "standard" 2" lift will see Springs and Shockies as required

When lifting your suspension, the vehicle's caster and radius arm angle are changed.
    3" lift you MAY need to change your Radius arms, or fit "Drop Boxes" (Drop boxes are designed to allow the radius arms to be dropped below the chassis to correct the caster geometry, correct the articulation of the suspension components )
    3" - 5" lift, you WILL have to change the geometry of the suspension to get it back closer to original angles required........
    as well as longer brake lines (as the Diff's are now further away)

body lift (not a fan of them myself) but you can fit blocks under the body (at where it bolts to the chassis) and lift the body higher
    but you have to make modifications to the Fan (sometimes) gear stick / 4wd lever, bull bar, rear bar, side steps....... (never ending)

have a look at
    Superior Engineering suspension kits - http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/
    ARB - http://www.arb.com.au/

my suggestion, as its a short wheel base - KISS - (Keep It Simple Stupid) - go for a 2" lift - it will look like a "Tonka Truck"
    you can fit 33" tyres
    and you will be almost unstoppable

good luck.......

cheers
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As col says above do research but most will recommend king springs and whatever shock you desire, the superior gear is very good.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. This is very helpful! Thank you.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I've started to seriously look into lift kits I am hoping to receive some help/feedback deciding on a set up. And if there are pics of Shorty's out there with any of the three mentioned brands below, please share! I am a visual learner

I'm considering the 2" ARB/OME, Tough Dog and Superior Lift Kit Stage 1 and 2. My questions are:

OME Heavy Load - I have the OMEs on my 2011 FJ Cruiser and have absolutely no issues. I plan to carry an RTT and a few other goodies on top, so my question is, anybody running this setup and how does it handle on the Patrol? The price point of the OMEs is quite nice compared to the others.

Tough Dog - being from the States and currently living in Guatemala, I am new to this brand. What is the general consensus on the Tough Dog?

Superior - this set up appears similar to what Toytech does in the States by incorporating different brands into their recommended suspension lift kits. Is there a major difference between the Stage 1 and 2 that warrants the additional AUD169 and makes it worth upgrading?

Lastly, can anybody tell me what my current suspension set up is, i.e. leaf, spring, etc? I'm no techie and could sure use the advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InterFJ View Post
    Now that I've started to seriously look into lift kits I am hoping to receive some help/feedback deciding on a set up. And if there are pics of Shorty's out there with any of the three mentioned brands below, please share! I am a visual learner

I'm considering the 2" ARB/OME, Tough Dog and Superior Lift Kit Stage 1 and 2. My questions are:

OME Heavy Load - I have the OMEs on my 2011 FJ Cruiser and have absolutely no issues. I plan to carry an RTT and a few other goodies on top, so my question is, anybody running this setup and how does it handle on the Patrol? The price point of the OMEs is quite nice compared to the others.

Tough Dog - being from the States and currently living in Guatemala, I am new to this brand. What is the general consensus on the Tough Dog?

Superior - this set up appears similar to what Toytech does in the States by incorporating different brands into their recommended suspension lift kits. Is there a major difference between the Stage 1 and 2 that warrants the additional AUD169 and makes it worth upgrading?

Lastly, can anybody tell me what my current suspension set up is, i.e. leaf, spring, etc? I'm no techie and could sure use the advice!
    Coil springs to all 4 corners mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InterFJ View Post
    Coil springs with Shockies

just be aware when you get the new Coil springs - drivers side spring is slightly taller / bigger / longer than the passenger side
    to compensate for the weight of the driver..........

as you can see better on the rear springs / shocks I fitted to my old GQ years ago (front 2 are for the front, rear 2 are for the rear) left one bigger / longer / taller than the other

cheers
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was before -

this was after........

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information, gents! I found out today there's an ARB dealer in Guatemala, so unless they are unable to supply the suspension lift kit, looks like I'll be going with the OMEs.

@ Bigcol - looks great!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was only a 2" lift as well, nothing fancy, but reliable...........

good news about the ARB dealer........... - I think..........????

I have never shopped with them at all..... I dont like their prices or their sales staff - but thats just me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast