Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative campsite power source

Hi all.

After my last camping exped, I'm looking at getting a wind turbine to keep batteries charged. Any thoughts?

Does anybody use any other sorts of alternative power? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

Take care out there.

Ross
    DX grunt
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mate, just my opinion but wind power is as good as the solar or solar is as good as wind power
    If you have the energy you will get power just depends on the environment.

The solar and wind power generators are usually similar price but I think solar will get you further

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (4th March 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wind is not real good unless you are on the coast or up on a high point. You need constant wind. Also they do make some noise so you would want it away from camp. If it is not high enough it may smack you over the ear as you wander around at night looking for a bush to water - or worse it could do damage to one of the kids. Solar is a better idea - or maybe a water turbine if you camp near a creek. Platypus systems in Cairns is a good site to look at for turbines.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife says my wind power is quite powerful hahaha or was that overpowering

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    My wife says my wind power is quite powerful hahaha or was that overpowering
    ......if we could only bottle methane!!!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Ross saw some wind propellers today heading down your way today on low loaders.............I really think that you may have to get a Mighty GQ to tow them, they are enormous...haha
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solar is the way to go,mount it on top of your pod hook up to your batteries bobs your uncle your done,just keep them clean and you shouldnt have any trouble

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hiya Roscoe...

Never a shortage of wind here in WA, Methane or otherwise eh... Biggest advantage is wind tends to be 24/7 whereas peak Solar is only about 4 hours a day stretch to 5 or 6 in middle of Summer at prime angle

Been eyeing off a VAT (Vertical Axis Turbine) setup for a while. Looks just like a roof ventilator if you haven't seen one. They are very very quiet compared to the Propellor jobbies and handle turbulence significantly better so can be setup lower to the ground and near trees etc or on a much smaller mast. Need slightly higher initial wind speeds but that isn't an issue here in WA. Pricing is similar to the traditional propellor style.

The biggest thing in a comparo to Solar is that a 50 Watt wind turbine is equivalent to about a 70 Watt Solar Panel as Solar Panels are rated at peak volts of between 18 to 21 not 12 Volts so to get 4 Amps like in this Jaycar version http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MG4570 you need a higher rated Solar panel.

I can't justify one ATM as I have poo poo loads of electricity from my battery capacity and 100 Watt Solar panels.

For someone who is yet to purchase (and IF you live/camp where there is a reasonable chance of breezes) then I reckon a VAT Wind Turbine is a serious contender.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (4th March 2011), Sir Roofy (4th March 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just what im'e looking into aswell, I do at least one week fishing trips and the 90AH aux. battery wont cut it! Solar 120 w seems popular! more than enough to keep the batt charged! Prices iv'e seen range from $1.000.oo down to $450.00 for the fold ups with the regulator, Might hang out till winter to see if any prices come down.Solar Steve has good quality stuff for round the $750 mark. He's on the Gone Bush Forum.
    89 GQ TD 42

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Hiya Roscoe...

Never a shortage of wind here in WA, Methane or otherwise eh... Biggest advantage is wind tends to be 24/7 whereas peak Solar is only about 4 hours a day stretch to 5 or 6 in middle of Summer at prime angle

Been eyeing off a VAT (Vertical Axis Turbine) setup for a while. Looks just like a roof ventilator if you haven't seen one. They are very very quiet compared to the Propellor jobbies and handle turbulence significantly better so can be setup lower to the ground and near trees etc or on a much smaller mast. Need slightly higher initial wind speeds but that isn't an issue here in WA. Pricing is similar to the traditional propellor style.

The biggest thing in a comparo to Solar is that a 50 Watt wind turbine is equivalent to about a 70 Watt Solar Panel as Solar Panels are rated at peak volts of between 18 to 21 not 12 Volts so to get 4 Amps like in this Jaycar version http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MG4570 you need a higher rated Solar panel.

I can't justify one ATM as I have poo poo loads of electricity from my battery capacity and 100 Watt Solar panels.

For someone who is yet to purchase (and IF you live/camp where there is a reasonable chance of breezes) then I reckon a VAT Wind Turbine is a serious contender.
    Excellent info. thanks mate

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast