Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mich@el View Post
    Besides water in the oil or vice versa, could you tell if you had a cracked head from a consistently low reading on an oil gauge?
    Short answer, no.

Tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea mine sits on 4 most of the time, some times sits up @ 6ish and other times stays low.......
    td42
    but have just rebuilt it and it was cracked in 4 cylinders :P lolz did it good.
    will let you know what im sittin on once its back runnin again

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TB42 - sometimes starts around 3ish when cold then drops to 1 or zero once warm. Then never moves. Been like this since new apparently.
    '88 LWB TB42 Auto Dual Fuel 72/90lts 3rd gear Trans Lock-up 2" Suspension Lift Piranha Dual Battery

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate my GQ TD42 sits around the four mark to. it should be about the same for your 2.8TD. I think you wanted to know what a after market gauge would read in psi? If you times your four (kg/cm2) gauge by 14.223 you will have the psi value. 56.892psi

Regards

Kel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TB42 sits on 6 at start up then drops to 1 and stays there.If the oil light come's on then i will start to stress.
    A GOOD MATE WILL BAIL YOU OUT OF JAIL, A BEST MATE WILL BE SITTING NEXT TO YOU SAYING YEP WE F**KED UP

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my td42 sits on 3 at idle. 4ish while driving road or bush bashing.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lachiek View Post
    Because mine moves I know it is doing something but if it was always low from what the other guys have said I wouldn't want to base an expensive decision to fix a cracked head on it. If mine was consistently low I'd be 1. checking oil in water vis a vis etc and 2. getting a new guage.
    TB42 - mine read from 3 something to almost zero after driving and then idling. I took the step of replacing the sender - whose design has been changed several times since 1991 - and now indeed the pressure shows from 4 to 1.7 or so, never lower. Much better, altho probably still wrong. I am SURE it also depends on the oil you use and how old the oil is. I use 20w50 high mileage Valvoline for example and the oil is in very good condition (honey colour, changed every 6 mts not due to the ks).

BTW my temp sender also died, it was showing a cooler and cooler engine. Almost opened up the pipes to change the thermostat (bought it and the gasket damn lol), however I have one of those ThermoCaps - rad caps wioth temp in it - and it was showing 80 deg or so so I thought something is fishy. Replaced the thermo sender (aftermarket) and the temp is now a bit below the middle. So it is worth having some second instrument to prevent you from starting some expensive repairs you don;t need :-)
    Last edited by advarp; 21st January 2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spell

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a GQ td42turbo, like many, my OEM gauge varies from just under 2 to 4. Thats no different whether the engine is hot or cold. I have a aftermarket Stewart Warner mechanical gauge, and at cold idle, it is usually around 50psi, hot idle (700rpm) 20-25psi. When the engine oil is hot (takes about 10km highway driving), running pressure at 2400rpm, is 47psi. If I put the a/c on, and the water temp goes up to 85C (digital aftermarket gauge), the oil pressure drops to about 40psi. My oil is Shell Rimula 15/40 with external oil cooler.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, and everyone else, please go easy.
    I was told by die hard Nissan mechanic after asking a similar question.
    The nissan oil pressure switches/sender leave alot to be desired.
    He suggested replace with quality aftermarket one
    Go figure. please don't shoot the messenger, I just love my nissan's, just passing it on.
    Last edited by Robo; 27th January 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123