Thread: ZD30 CR Rebuild or Conversion?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 CR Rebuild or Conversion?

just run into trouble with my 2008 ZD30 Common Rail, such that it needs to come out to be fixed.
    is it worth swapping it for a TD42 Turbo?
    what is the deal about emissions?
    does any one know what its worth either way (rebuilt ZD30 CR, TD42 Turbo, or new crate ZD30 CR)
    have spotted a ZD30 CR with 5 speed box attached in WA for $5000 on E bay 30,000Km on the clock maybe this is the way to go? not sure if its got warranty though??
    my ZD30 has been flogged but was still running ok, just snapped off half of the exhaust manifold studs in the head.

BTW I was using around 20L /100km with about 50/50 split Hwy/Town so there is obviously something else wrong, hence my decision to remove it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fix the exhaust and sell it as is, and get newer one ? Were you upgrading the exhaust or the stock was buster?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    four of the original studs snapped off and left threads behind, which resulted in manifold leaking, which I thought would be easy to fix till I found 4 snapped, not just loose, like I had hoped .

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You won't be able to fit a stock TD42 to an 08' Series patrol and get a legal mod plate

If it has been flogged enough to have broken 4 exhaust studs and be using 20 LPH I would be fitting another engine if I was keeping it or maybe a reco head if I was selling it.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 23rd November 2014 at 06:22 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Scottch (23rd November 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it difficult to remove the engine and transmission in one piece?
    is it a done thing?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    You won't be able to fit a TD42 to an 08' Series patrol and get a legal mod plate

If it has been flogged enough to have broken 4 exhaust studs and be using 20 LPH I would be fitting another engine if I was keeping it or maybe a reco head if I was selling it.
    I have heard 50/50 on this. I don't know if it differs from state to state. But when I was doing some homework on doing a 4.2 conversion, I was told a definite no. So that ended that. I'm stuck with the grenade.
    But then I've been told that some of our local 4x4 workshops like Readies and 4x4 obsession, do the conversion and engineer everything. I haven't talk to them about it, so don't know how much truth there is to that.

To the OP. A straight swap like for like, will always be cheaper than doing a conversion to something else.
    2005 TD42TI

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    You won't be able to fit a stock TD42 to an 08' Series patrol and get a legal mod plate

I noticed you changed it to say "stock", so you mean a TD42 could be tricked up to spec for emissions???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also read somewhere that someone was doing the td42 conversion(all engineered) for crd models but can't find where i read it.
    2008 GU6 ST 3.0 CRD Auto, 2" Lift, ARB Bullbar, IPF Spotties, Side Steps, Maxxis 980 A/T, Roof Rack.....................

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The simple answer is you can fit anything to anything... if you have the money and someone to sign off on it.

To fit a TD42 to a late series GU, where the TD42 was not a factory option, you need the modifcation to comply with ADR's etc but the big stumbling block is emissions regs.
    The TD42 was discontinued for several reasons but emission compliance issues was one of them.
    To pass the emissions regs you need the vehicle modified before it can be tested and signed off.
    If you can't get the signoff then you are out big bucks.

I don't know of anyone doing CRD to TD42T mods and I haven't ever seen one for sale or the service advertsied but Hodge may well be correct and someone may be doing them.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quite simply no to the 4.2 motor
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast