Thread: Camping meal recommendations

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    Theres no trick to camp oven cooking just trial and error. I dont see the need for the digital temp guns
    I know, but it seems like a cool gadget and I want one.
    Have not failed with a camp oven meal in years.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roasts, strews, pizza, cakes. Whatever you can do in an oven you can do in a camp oven. Just got to watch the temperature of course. There are also some great books in local libraries or second hand book stores for camp oven cooking!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any camp oven fails will always taste better than anything cooked in the microwave at home

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm taking my WebberQ next trip

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    potato bake in the camp oven! absolute winner!

i buy those round tin BBQ containers from coles, they fit neatly in a decent sized camp oven and it means the camp oven doesnt have to be cleaned afterwards. just make up a potato bake (When im camping i just use packet mix) and layer in the tin, put it in the camp oven, lid on ,on the hot coals for a few hours, cheese on top for the last 20mins and bam, amazing. ive also done pasta bakes like this too.

i also do the old baked potatos in foil, but if you cut em up into small squares and lay them out like you would in a baking tray at home with oil and salt they go crispy. just use lots of foil cos this can get tricky when flipping it over.
    another one i do is zuchini in foil in the fire, thats yummo!

And for brecky instead of bulk bacon eggs I sometimes do fried mushys, tomatos and sliced sausage in a sanga with fresh spinach. its a winner with smokey bbq sauce!

also ( and this is a rippa for dinner with some baked tatos and zuchini) I throw a few lamb chops or beef steak in the camp oven with a few herbs (if you have em) spices (salt n pepper will do) a splash of oil and then a good dose of honey soy marinade, you want enough to almost cover the chops so they dont burn, they just bubble away in the marinade for a while, and eventually all the liquid evaporates and then you add more coals and get it nice and hot so they go crispy on the outside. its pretty yum haha

for desert you can do a good bread n and butter pud with about 8 slices of bread, crusts cut off, buttered well and spread with jam on one side layered into your camp oven (or BBQ tin) with a sprinkle of sultanas on each layer then 300ml of thickened cream, one egg (put it in a bowl and stire it up, then mix it with cream), some nutmeg (and if you have it vanilla essence) and a sprinkle of sugar on top. cook it until all the liquid is absorbed into the bread. its amazing, and easy!

and just to clear something up i dont actually take my entire cupboard camping, these recipes are from lots of different trips haha
    Assuming I'm like most other girls is your first mistake...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ForgeCreekFerals4x4 For This Useful Post:

AB (5th January 2016)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123