OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Redarc Tow Pro Brake controller.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redarc Tow Pro Brake controller.

Does anybody have one? How do you find it? Did you fit it yourself?

I’m going to have to buy a brake controller to use with the TeaVan & this one appeals mainly because of the minimal real estate it takes up in the driving cab.

http://www.redarc.com.au/images/uplo...ion_Manual.pdf

Looking at the above link, it looks like installing & calibrating it should be a reasonably easy diy job.

I’ve only ever had small trailers with hydraulic override brakes before. None for off road use.
    The Redarc stuff talks about ‘auto’ use on bitumen, & manual for off road. In particular on downhill off road sections. Can anyone explain to me the benefit of being able to apply the trailer brakes separately to the vehicle brakes in these sort of situations?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,653 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inlaws have one in the prado.
    Can't fault it. Simple install, easy to use.
    Can't go wrong

These units work off a, for simpler terms, gyro.
    It picks up when your breaking by reading forces.
    The greater the force the more it applies. In relation to your settings of course.

So if your in a decent down a hill. Slow and steady. The forces of you stopping and bugger all and the "gyro" might not read it. So the manual mode is pretty much an on and off. Once you break the trailer breaks.

That's the theory behind it. Inlaws have never used the manual setting. The auto does quite well.
    Last edited by BigRAWesty; 17th November 2014 at 09:55 PM.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kallen, that makes sense.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 719 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day Cuppa
    Have never installed or used one as I retired before they were released.
    Have a pedantic mate with one and is towing close to 3 ton and he is very pleased.
    The only advice I can give you is if he`s happy it`s good.
    On the instillation always make sure the unit is earthed back to the battery and the trailer is earthed back to the battery.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will probably be in auto full time and its a progressive manual override as needed, when going from blacktop to dirt to sand you may wantneed/to adjust the sensitivity to suit, if you don't the trailer may skid on dirt under medium braking or dig in on sand.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I was having issues loading the manual but got it now .. So my understanding is in auto you have no manual override? So either full auto or full manual ?
    I know your looking for compact cuppa but personally I'd be looking for one with the ability to manually hit the trailer brakes independently of the car in an emergency.
    like a wet slippery section of track that you may slide on causing the trailer to jackknife, a quick hit of the brake and it will have the potential to pull the car inline and straighten you up and slow you down enough to regain traction.

Edit: the T- van looks bloody good also cuppa nice find
    Last edited by megatexture; 18th November 2014 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    snip...
    Does anybody have one? How do you find it? Did you fit it yourself?

Looking at the above link, it looks like installing & calibrating it should be a reasonably easy diy job.

The Redarc stuff talks about ‘auto’ use on bitumen, & manual for off road. In particular on downhill off road sections. Can anyone explain to me the benefit of being able to apply the trailer brakes separately to the vehicle brakes in these sort of situations?
    I use Tekonsha's but nothing wrong with the Redarc for a Tvan, Cuppa.

A minor correction to a previous post is that the Redarc units use tri axis Accelerometers not Gyroscopes but no biggee.

In auto mode the unit is a fully proportional automatic controller IE it applies the trailer braking effort in the same proportion as the vehicle braking effort without any intervention by the user.

In user mode the braking effort is controlled by the user IE it isn't automatically proportioned so needs to adjusted every time the surface or the incline changes.

In manual override it acts as a drag on the trailer to very effectively dampen trailer sway IE it brakes the trailer but the vehicle can run on.
    Very handy if you get gusty winds or some other force that destabilises the trailer.

Redarc or Tekonsha is kinda Ford or Holden really
    I find Tekonsha easier to use but not as versatile to mount
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only real difference I see is tekonsha's manual override is proportional ( minute to full lock up) to how far you slide the lever whereas redarc is on or off switch and will apply "light vehicle braking" to the trailer

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    Only real difference I see is tekonsha's manual override is proportional ( minute to full lock up) to how far you slide the lever whereas redarc is on or off switch and will apply "light vehicle braking" to the trailer
    Pretty much.
    I prefer the tekonsha slide idea and also the ability to tap the button on the top of the Primus to boost the braking without having to adjust the calibration.
    I think it is simply because that is what I am used to tho.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have a newer unit than mine as I've just got the two dials on the side and the man override

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast