User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat Callinan - no Patrol?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another issue with the auto is (i think) no center difflock. We took the new state emergency service's amarok out for a test run and got it bogged. I have a great video of it just sitting there with rear wheels spinning and absolutely no drive to the front wheels. We tried every button it had, but couldn't get any drive from the front wheels at all.

It did have drive to the front wheels before and after the bog hole though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good on him by accepting more $ from VW, than Nissan gave him. However, I'd love to see him go to some places with this thing, where he has previously taken his Patrol. Amaroks are not very offroad capable.
    I had a chat to Pat at last years show, as mates son wanted a photo with him. He absolutely despises the 3L Patrols he whispered quietly. It gave them so much grief by the usual ZD30 faults, on many of their filming trips, But once again, it was for free, kitted out by sponsors so he just drove it and once it stuffed up, Nissan to the rescue .... so money talks bull$hit walks... (or drives in this case).
    2005 TD42TI

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

mudski (1st June 2015), Patrol-Guy (1st June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Good on him by accepting more $ from VW, than Nissan gave him. However, I'd love to see him go to some places with this thing, where he has previously taken his Patrol. Amaroks are not very offroad capable.
    I had a chat to Pat at last years show, as mates son wanted a photo with him. He absolutely despises the 3L Patrols he whispered quietly. It gave them so much grief by the usual ZD30 faults, on many of their filming trips, But once again, it was for free, kitted out by sponsors so he just drove it and once it stuffed up, Nissan to the rescue .... so money talks bull$hit walks... (or drives in this case).
    Pity he feels that way as I think he would have generated a few sales of the Y61. Mr cash for comment?
    I understand the sentiment though as it diminishes faith in the ZD30 knowing that a lot of the niggling problems have been there for years with Nissan doing sweet FA to fix them. Leaking I/C's being one of them.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh he would have aided Y61 sales thats for sure. No doubt about that. After all that was the whole purpose of sponsoring him with a Patrol.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Patrols being basically the last true off roader with a live front axle I think would sell itself.
    If your into 4x4 why would you buy an IFS 4x4 with limited wheel travel.
    Must admit they compensate that with lots of buttons to get you up a hill or down a gully.
    Just look at all the initials behind some of the bigger 4x4s

Amorak dont even have a transfer case do they just the 8 speed box,
    boy 1st must be very short
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Patrols being basically the last true off roader with a live front axle I think would sell itself. If your into 4x4 why would you buy an IFS 4x4 with limited wheel travel. Must admit they compensate that with lots of buttons to get you up a hill or down a gully. Just look at all the initials behind some of the bigger 4x4s Amorak dont even have a transfer case do they just the 8 speed box, boy 1st must be very short
    But most people doing true off-roading don't spend 50k+ on a car. At least I wouldn't. A gq will far outperform for far cheaper.

However, for touring, I want comfort, economy, power, and storage space. Which the Amarok has. I can easily get over the limited travel with a locker (if I'm forking out that much coin, I can afford one)

As for the no low range, 8 speed.
    A patrol has a 4 speed auto box, and high/low range. Effectively 8 gears. They have just put it all into one package.

For touring, if I was buying brand new, I hate to say it, but I would probably buy a dual can over a patrol. (Tho probably not an Amarok)

Cheers
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 8 speed uses 2nd gear to start under normal driving and has a couple of overdrive gears (I think). When in 4x4 mode it allows the box to access first but then slips the converter if it needs to crawl anywhere so its not a direct comparison to the 4 speed dual range Patrol.

I think for heavy 4x4 work it heats the converter up too much and that's why they had the failures. Not sure if still happening.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Punderhead View Post
    But most people doing true off-roading don't spend 50k+ on a car. At least I wouldn't. A gq will far outperform for far cheaper.

However, for touring, I want comfort, economy, power, and storage space. Which the Amarok has. I can easily get over the limited travel with a locker (if I'm forking out that much coin, I can afford one)

As for the no low range, 8 speed.
    A patrol has a 4 speed auto box, and high/low range. Effectively 8 gears. They have just put it all into one package.

For touring, if I was buying brand new, I hate to say it, but I would probably buy a dual can over a patrol. (Tho probably not an Amarok)

Cheers
    Im not in the position to buy a $50k 4x4 even when I could I like you wouldnt, why would you.
    you can trick up a much earlier model to what ever you want it to be, I like dual cabs but mainly full size like the patrol with the back cut
    off, my friend has an extended dual cab and is the ultimate tourer imo.
    The modern dual cab are useless IMO the top of the tubs are about 5ft high so makes it very hard to
    load and un load. But as a tourer I think a dualcab with some sensible mods would be great, though not ideal IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    . The modern dual cab are useless IMO the top of the tubs are about 5ft high so makes it very hard to load and un load.
    Except I'm 6'6 so that doesn't bother me!
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    And no low range...
    The manual has low range. I have driven one
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast