OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tassie locals, need your help with a trip plan!

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet mate, hopefully picking one up this weekend.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry we didn't update this or get in touch with anyone, was a bit of a rush before Christmas!

Well, we managed to see a heap! It was pretty full on, only staying one night in a lot of places, but we managed to see 90% of what we had aimed.

Only things we missed out on that we had originally planned to see was the Tahune Air Walk, and doing Balfour/Sandy Cape - I staked two tyres up around Conical Rocks, one was unrepairable and the other we managed to patch, but it meant no spare and I didn't want to risk it. Bit unlucky but oh well.

We arrived at Devonport and spent the night there. From there we headed to Leven Canyon, which was awesome, then to Sheffield to check out the artwork and stuff. Here in Sheffield I noticed some fluid leaking from the rear of the car... Uh-oh! Checked all the obvious places, all fine. Maybe a brake line has cracked on top of the chassis and is dripping down? Nope, not that either. Hmm. Luckily, noticed the carpet inside the car was wet... Ohhhhh the esky is leaking and it's finding it's way out a grommet and down the chassis! PHEW!!!

We made our way to Launceston slowly and spent the night in Lilydale. The next morning we did some sightseeing in Launceston and slowly headed towards Scottsdale on our way to St Helens. St Helens and Binalong Bay were beautiful We camped near Sloop Lagoon for the night, and did some fishing and kayaking while we were there.. From there we headed towards Bicheno and into Freycinet NP. Wineglass Bay was amazing, though the walk to the lookout almost killed me. The lighthouse lookout at Cape Tourville was amazing too! We pressed on through Sorell and eventually made our way to the Port Arthur Caravan Park. One of the best parks I've ever stayed at, private spots, nice new amenities too. Port Arthur was cool, though our ghost tour guide was super boring.

The next day we left Port Athur for Hobart. What a cool place. We drove to the top of Mt Wellington, it was freezing but the views were incredible, and I'd recommend to drive up there! Loved Bruny Island, we camped at Cloudy Bay via the beach track, was so peaceful there, and we were the only ones there. Russell Falls were awesome, but another walk that almost killed me (not the fittest bloke in the world). From there we headed to Derwent Bridge and camped somewhere near Lake King William (it was freeeeeeezing).

After that super cold night, we headed to Strahan! What a cool little town! Stocked up with meat and booze, and topped off our fuel while we were at it before enjoying a drive around Henty Dunes and eventually camping somewhere near Hells Gates - this was an awesome spot to camp! Sheltered, warm, with a great view of the ocean! The next day we packed up and headed to Zeehan. We grabbed some lunch and then decided to do the Ring River Tk to Montezuma Falls. This was an awesome track and with a bit of rain had us picking our lines carefully! The falls were amazing, though as someone with a huge fear of heights, crossing the suspension bridge was certainly an experience. We took the regular track out and the potholes drove me bonkers! We headed back to Zeehan and then made our way towards Trial Harbour. Trial Harbour is a beautiful little town, though all the camping spots were full, doh! Fortunately we struck up a conversation with some locals who advised us we could camp a little South, at a place called Goat Rock. Hear we had a great view of the ocean, it was a magical place to camp! We awoke early the next morning hoping to do some fishing, and headed a bit further South to the Little Henty River. Didn't catch a thing, but enjoyed some kayaking around the river and some more beach driving!

After this, we thought we'd try the Climies Track to Granville Harbour. Everyone had recommended doing the track North to South, but it wasn't the way we were hoping to head so we figured we'd just go for a look... For the most part, it wasn't too bad. There were some massive ruts and steep sections, and plenty of places that had us testing our suspension. The waterfall crossing was difficult, coming around the bend downhill and the Patrol's just kept wanting to push wide towards the cliff. It was slow going with plenty of adjustments, but we eventually made it down that part and across the falls, then back up the other side. We had a great sense of accomplishment, which was quickly sobered by the plaque for the three people who got washed away. Not too long after this we saw a couple of cyclists who were slowly making their way down the track. Crazy if you ask me!!

About half an hour or so after this, we were travelling up another steep rutted section. I chose the wrong line, and ended up with the car balancing on two wheels, sideways to the hill. It wasn't a great feeling, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was going over and all the way back down. Thankfully my girl was out of the car, and she quickly grabbed the corner that had a wheel a few feet in the air. I don't know how she held it, but everytime she moved, the car wobbled with it. She held on through her tears (she thought I was going over) and thankfully my old man managed to bring his GU around on the line I should've taken. He winched the corner that was floating in the air back down, and was able to slowly pull me to safety! PHEW!!!! Got out of that one, and I reckon I would have been in a bit of strife if it had gone over. But, we still had to finish this track! Thankfully, the rest of the track was relatively tame compared to what we'd done, which was a bit of relief! We camped at Granville Harbour and enjoyed a few cold ones to celebrate. Also pulled out a few clumps of hair at my next shower, showed me how stressed I actually was haha!

From there, we headed up to Conical Rocks and eventually the Pieman Head area. It was magnificent, the river was beautiful, just a shame it was packed! We ended up heading back to Conical Rocks and finding a place to camp! Though the weather was warm, the wind was howling! We threw a couple of cray nets in hoping for some good news, but we ended up losing one of them to the ocean, oops! We setup the tents as best we could, and when the rain hit it was time for bed (at an early 6pm). The canvas tent stood up well, though the wind blew so hard it blew the rain vertical under the windows. We realized this pretty quickly and a put a couple of towels down just in case. Next morning I realized one of my 35's were flat.. Dang, changed it for the spare, we packed up and headed back towards Granville Harbour and then Zeehan (to top up fuel and food).

After filling up, we headed to Corinna! Cool little place, and we crossed the pieman on the fatman! Not long after crossing, and I feel the rear is really loose. A quick pull over and yep, my spare's copped a stake as well. Pretty unlucky, but that's life. Changed one of my front tyres onto the rear, and popped my old man's 33' spare on the front and slowly made our way towards Arthur River. We were originally going to do Balfour and then head down towards Sandy Cape, but with no spares between us it wasn't worth the risk.

We stayed at Arthur River in the Prickly Wattle Campground for a few days, it the day before New Years Eve, so we did some fishing and kayaking and fishing. We headed to the caravan park for a shower and this is where we met the owners Darren and Helen. Lovely people, and it was great to have a shower! Here I told Darren of my wheel issues, and he was kind enough to help patch up the stake in my spare (as there is no tyre place until Stanley, and they didn't have anything to suit 35's). Once repaired, we put it back on the rear and enjoyed the warm showers and calm weather at Arthur River. Managed to catch an eel too!

From there, we headed to Stanley! What an amazing little town. The Nut was spectacular, and the beaches like a postcard. We took the opportunity to do some snorkeling, and although freezing, the marine life was spectacular. We had another crack with the Craypot, but only got a starfish! We left the pot with a local fisherman who was pretty happy to take it, and headed for Ulverstone where we'd booked some accommodation to enjoy a warm bed and a fresh shower. While there, we did the Gunns Plains Cave tour, checked out some penguins and ate at some really nice places in Burnie. Nice way to get some R&R. Then back on the boat, and now we are home!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

Bob (7th January 2015), growler2058 (6th January 2015), happygu (6th January 2015), Hodge (6th January 2015), taslucas (6th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic write up! Whilst I've been to Tassie many times (most recently over Christimas to visit family) I've never had the chance to take the patrol down and drive around, but definately on the list to do!

Did you take any photos along the way?
    2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Phew. Talk about a trip report . Need another beer after that read. On a positive note!
    Sound like an awesome trip mate. Never been to Tassie, maybe one day.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done ..... Sounds like a fantastic trip

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an amazing trip, and I'd like to thank those that contributed here for helping!

We did get pictures, but that's the missus department so I'll have to get them off her and upload them

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you got to see a fair bit mate.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Yep, looking forward to some pics.
    "west is best" though hey!? Although some of those little towns look like something out if wolf creek mixed with housos Hahahaha.
    Next time you got to hit up the centre. Cradle Mountain and the great Lakes area.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh crap! We did Cradle Mountain as well haha!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Oh crap! We did Cradle Mountain as well haha!
    Yeah cool, did you walk anywhere?
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we did the walk up to the big rock thing that overlooks the lake, and a few walks near the small falls as you enter the NP. We were hoping to kayak on the lake but didn't get time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

taslucas (7th January 2015)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast