OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tassie locals, need your help with a trip plan!

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tassie locals, need your help with a trip plan!

Coming from Vic to Tassie for a couple of weeks in a GQ with 35's and a winch, and a GU on 33's with a winch. Both have snorkels. Doing a bit of pre planning (trip is around xmas time) and had a couple of questions.

Firstly, we are landing in Devonport, and the plan is to work out way around clockwise. To simply name the main towns we are planning on visiting, Devonport > Beaconsfield > Launceston > Bay of Fires > St Helens > Bicheno > Port Arthur > Hobart > Possibly Southport Lagoon (is it worth it, and anyway from Southport to Strahan without going back to Hobart and then inland?) > Strahan > Henty Dunes > Zeehan > Montezuma Falls > Zeehan again > Trial Harbour > Granville Harbour > Pieman Head > Balfour/Balfour Tk > Sandy Cape > Couta Rocks > Arthur River > Stony Point > Smithton > Burnie > Back to Devonport.

Sorry for the wall of text, it sounds like a lot but a lot these will be done on the same day (hopefully)!

So, the questions:

Any way from Southport Lagoon to Strahan by sticking to the West Coast? Or do I need to go back towards Hobart and north from there?

Is this 'lap' realistically achievable over a two week period?

And what places have I missed, or what should I wipe off this list? We are aiming to spend as much time offroad as possible, including Balfour and Climes Tk's (any others I should know about?). Will be doing the regular touristy stuff in the main towns, but the more time I can spend driving offroad/fishing suits me just fine.

Also, how long does the run from Strahan up to Smithton normally take (via zeehan/trial harbour/granville harbour/pieman barge/sandy point/balfour tk/balfour/couta rocks and then up to smithton)?

I've already looked up permits for the arthur pieman area, any other's we need to know about? And I've heard that the mudholes on Balfour can be quite deep, but are normally a solid ground so not normally too much trouble getting through. Has anyone been through recently that can confirm? Anything particular to watch out for in the area around xmas?

Sorry for the wall of text! Hopefully can get a few answers
    Last edited by Throbbinhood; 12th November 2014 at 10:42 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, sounds like a pretty good list of places already.
    Probably going to take longer than you think though... Trying to do all that in two weeks means you'll be leaving camp very early everyday, driving long everyday, hardly stopping and having a perfect run everywhere, which can't be counted on. I'd be looking at taking a few destinations off your list and instead staying at a camp for two or three nights and exploring the area you're in. Most of the roads you'll be taking are highways, and while being scenic, they're not going to give much off road fun. If you camp up for a day or two you'll get a chance to do some fun tracks.

The Balfour track SHOULD be relatively dry over Christmas.

A downside is that the west coast (and most recreational areas) will be very busy over the holiday period. This can slow travel down.

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING can happen between strahan and Smithton...
    Last edited by taslucas; 13th November 2014 at 06:29 AM.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

93patrol (13th November 2014), Pokey (13th November 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This book is great. I highly recommend getting it
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

93patrol (13th November 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day mate
    First up you will want to go back
    As Lucas says you will not fit it all in so try and sort out you options,as your traveling in peak season some camping areas will be booked out and there will not be a lot of spaces at the popular free camps. For camping use the wikkicamps app as it is pretty much up to date and a lot of info is added daily. We spent 3 months down there last year, covered 8000Ks and still did not see or do all we had planed. If you plan on doing national parks a pass can be purchased on the boat also fishing license. You don`t need a licence to fish salt water only fresh water. There are so many things to see and do just scale down alittle and plan a return trip. A couple of places to relax or have lunch at are Richardsons Harleydavidsons in Launceston, the 60 cafe in Delorain, and for drinks after 4 at Joe`s garage Hobart Not into art neither am I but if you have time a visit to The Wall In The Wilderness at Derwent Bridge is worth a visit Track the book Lucas has posted up is a bible for Tas and we found the locals were very helpful as well, all so a lot of the loggin track can cut time and distance off trips but be warned alot have gates that are locked and this can frustrate you after a 20K drive in then a back track. The book above is great but check with locals and the info centers as to conditions and closures as we found that closures do happen quite often as fallen trees cause problems (carry a chainsaw) we had to cut up a couple blocking our path not only in the forest but on the main drag. I don`t know what your accommodation is but as Lucas has said a base and short sorties is the best way
    Beers and Cheers Pearcey

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

taslucas (13th November 2014)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help guys! Yeah, thought we might be pushing our luck a bit in terms of getting it all done.

Will pickup a copy of that book too! Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Thanks for the help guys! Yeah, thought we might be pushing our luck a bit in terms of getting it all done.

Will pickup a copy of that book too! Cheers
    And dont forget to book in some time to have a beer with me!

I'm in the Northwest

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    And dont forget to book in some time to have a beer with me!

I'm in the Northwest
    Will do mate! I'll get in touch a bit closer to us coming across!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Will do mate! I'll get in touch a bit closer to us coming across!
    Yeah cool, do that for sure. You never know, we may be having a drive and you'd be more than welcome to come along.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Lucas wont put you up for the night a good stay not far away is at the Rocky Cape Pub, Camping fees go from free to powered sites at $13 a night plus the meals are great.
    If meeting up with Lucas don`t for get your crash helmet then he can take you 2 wheeling. LOL

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcey View Post
    If Lucas wont put you up for the night a good stay not far away is at the Rocky Cape Pub, Camping fees go from free to powered sites at $13 a night plus the meals are great.
    If meeting up with Lucas don`t for get your crash helmet then he can take you 2 wheeling. LOL
    About time I got the bike out again.......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast