OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Tassie locals, need your help with a trip plan!

Threaded View

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tassie locals, need your help with a trip plan!

Coming from Vic to Tassie for a couple of weeks in a GQ with 35's and a winch, and a GU on 33's with a winch. Both have snorkels. Doing a bit of pre planning (trip is around xmas time) and had a couple of questions.

Firstly, we are landing in Devonport, and the plan is to work out way around clockwise. To simply name the main towns we are planning on visiting, Devonport > Beaconsfield > Launceston > Bay of Fires > St Helens > Bicheno > Port Arthur > Hobart > Possibly Southport Lagoon (is it worth it, and anyway from Southport to Strahan without going back to Hobart and then inland?) > Strahan > Henty Dunes > Zeehan > Montezuma Falls > Zeehan again > Trial Harbour > Granville Harbour > Pieman Head > Balfour/Balfour Tk > Sandy Cape > Couta Rocks > Arthur River > Stony Point > Smithton > Burnie > Back to Devonport.

Sorry for the wall of text, it sounds like a lot but a lot these will be done on the same day (hopefully)!

So, the questions:

Any way from Southport Lagoon to Strahan by sticking to the West Coast? Or do I need to go back towards Hobart and north from there?

Is this 'lap' realistically achievable over a two week period?

And what places have I missed, or what should I wipe off this list? We are aiming to spend as much time offroad as possible, including Balfour and Climes Tk's (any others I should know about?). Will be doing the regular touristy stuff in the main towns, but the more time I can spend driving offroad/fishing suits me just fine.

Also, how long does the run from Strahan up to Smithton normally take (via zeehan/trial harbour/granville harbour/pieman barge/sandy point/balfour tk/balfour/couta rocks and then up to smithton)?

I've already looked up permits for the arthur pieman area, any other's we need to know about? And I've heard that the mudholes on Balfour can be quite deep, but are normally a solid ground so not normally too much trouble getting through. Has anyone been through recently that can confirm? Anything particular to watch out for in the area around xmas?

Sorry for the wall of text! Hopefully can get a few answers
    Last edited by Throbbinhood; 12th November 2014 at 11:42 PM.