Thread: Domin8r exhaust

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domin8r exhaust

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has purchased and installed any of the Domin8r exhaust systems on a GU ZD30. If so are you happy with it and was the installation easy.
    The 4wd supacentre has the stainless system for $995 at the moment. The price is right and will allow me to spend the savings on some other accessories.

System seen here: http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/4wd-...t-systems.html

Thanks in advance.
    2003 GU ST-L, ZD30TD, 2 inch lift, 2.5m side awning, cargo rack, snorkel, 285/75/16 M/T tires, cargo draws, cargo barrier, UHF, DVD/CD player, on board air compressor, duel batteries, B/Bar, spot lights, 50ltr water tank, Pillar pod with egt & boost gauges, catch can, egr block, dawes and needle valves, 3" exhaust.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    firstly i will say i dont like 3" pipe they cause dramas for some and stainless is brittle but i read your signature and you have not got any gauges or dawes and needle valve and without that stuff first i would say that could get dangerous for your motor and pocket but hey great prices. kev
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin07 View Post
    firstly i will say i dont like 3" pipe they cause dramas for some and stainless is brittle but i read your signature and you have not got any gauges or dawes and needle valve and without that stuff first i would say that could get dangerous for your motor and pocket but hey great prices. kev
    Hi Kevin07 fair call. I do have an egt and boost gauge fitted and have noticed that the egts can get a little high when pushing the vehicle uphill. If I don't back off it will go up to 700 + degs. The boost is fine and usually sits at around 16 psi max.
    I am looking at trying to bring the egts down hence the exhaust as a starting point.

Signature updated.

Cheers,
    2003 GU ST-L, ZD30TD, 2 inch lift, 2.5m side awning, cargo rack, snorkel, 285/75/16 M/T tires, cargo draws, cargo barrier, UHF, DVD/CD player, on board air compressor, duel batteries, B/Bar, spot lights, 50ltr water tank, Pillar pod with egt & boost gauges, catch can, egr block, dawes and needle valves, 3" exhaust.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BEP120 For This Useful Post:

panjaby (30th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    you could try blocking the EGR valve as well.
    3" will work on your motor the 2.75" is better suited to the later CRD
    You say your egt's will get to 700 plus you are talking Centigrade aren't you?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BEP120 View Post
    Hi Kevin07 fair call. I do have an egt and boost gauge fitted and have noticed that the egts can get a little high when pushing the vehicle uphill. If I don't back off it will go up to 700 + degs. The boost is fine and usually sits at around 16 psi max.
    I am looking at trying to bring the egts down hence the exhaust as a starting point. yes and centigrade or farenheit

Signature updated.

Cheers,
    it seems this dawes and needle does a lot for lowering egts I think this is an important step to take on board before any more mods are done. pm mudski or maybe he calls himself northern 4 x 4 now also could you tell us where your egt probe is, thanks kev.
    Last edited by kevin07; 11th November 2014 at 05:35 PM.
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin07 View Post
    it seems this dawes and needle does a lot for lowering egts I think this is an important step to take on board before any more mods are done. pm mudski or maybe he calls himself northern 4 x 4 now also could you tell us where your egt probe is, thanks kev.
    My egt probe is 100mm from the back of the turbo in the dump pipe the egt gauge is in centigrade.
    I did end up getting the Domin8r mild steel exhaust at that price I could also get Northern 4x4's (Mudski's) dawes, needle and EGR blocking kit as well as his oil catch can kit.
    Just waiting on delivery of all of the above.
    Hopefully I will be busy installing everything this weekend.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    Long time reader, virgin poster here.
    BEP120 Did you receive your exhaust & if so was it easy to install & are you happy with it?
    I have a 2008 CRD just blocked off the EGR & fitted Dawes, Needle.
    Currently saving up for exhaust.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    Sorry for the late update.
    Well I got the Domin8r exhaust. It was an easy fit. I only had to modify one of the brackets which wasn't too hard. If anyone else does get this system I suggest that you buy some new exhaust hanger rubbers as the kit doesn't come with any and although my old ones looked in good condition i had a slight vibration if the vehicle wasn't sitting on flat ground.

What I did notice after the larger exhaust was fitted was that the egt's dropped by about 50 deg's centigrade but the boost was spiking at close to 30 psi and then would settle back to 18psi max. I wasn't comfortable with this spike so the next step was to install a Dawes and needle valve.
    This is a simple install and at the same time I blocked the egr and put in a oil catch can.
    After a little tweaking I now have the max boost set at 16 psi and the spike at the same. I adjusted the Dawes valve so the I am getting just under 5 psi at 1500 rpm. The egt's have now dropped around 100 deg's from standard.
    I am every happy with the end result and now have a lot more power and am saving a little bit of fuel.

I had a weeks work in Adelaide during the Christmas holidays and thought what better way to really test all of the above than to drive from Sydney. So booked a house for the week and loaded up the wife and kids.
    I only had three days to get there and left a week and a half to get back.
    The first day the car ran like a dream. I was truly happy with everything as the first day was a 800 km run.
    I did run into problems on the second day though going across the Hay plains with a strong head wind. The egt's were up the boost was down and then I started hitting limp mode at around 2800 rpm. I tweaked the needle and Dawes valves and this made no difference. I battled through until lunch time when we stopped at a park which kept the kids entertained while I started trouble shooting.
    I checked the MAF sensor voltages and all seemed ok but to be safe I changed it over to a spare non genuine one that I carried so I could rule that out. After checking fuel, resetting the computer and everything else that I could think of I set the Dawes and needle valves back to where they should be and set off again.
    I had slight improvement for a few km's and then things started getting worse. Have you ever tried passing a semi trailer while hitting limp mode not a fun experience it took me four resets to get past one of them. Luckily the roads weren't too busy.
    We pulled into Mildura for the night so left the battery terminals off overnight to reset the computer.
    Went for a test run in the morning and I was now hitting limp mode at 60 km/h and then every time i tried to accelerate above that. I let it hit limp mode a few times and made the decision to go to Mr Nissan for a scan before leaving town. I was hoping that some fault codes would show up.
    Nothing did. And when I asked what they thought that it could be I received an I don't know. They couldn't even suggest anything. It seems that the Nissan mechanics are now technicians and if the computer doesn't tell them whats wrong then they have no idea.

I set off again battling with it until the next town where we stopped for lunch.
    I had a feeling that it was something to do with the MAF sensor so bought some cleaner at the local auto shop and cleaned the old genuine MAF put it back in and took it for a test drive. I had improvement but it wasn't fixed. We were not too far from Adelaide at this stage so kept going and once there ordered a new genuine MAF sensor from Patrol a Part in Melbourne which was delivered the next day. Put it in and problem fixed.

I drove back from Adelaide to Sydney fault free and haven't had a issue since the new genuine MAF sensor went it.

What I have learnt form this experience is trust your gut feeling, don't rely on Nissan and always use genuine sensors.

A nightmare of a trip down to Adelaide but a good one back.

To get back on track I am very happy with the exhaust but strongly suggest that if you upgrade the exhaust then you should install gauges and the Dawes and needle valves.
    The note out the back is deeper but not much louder. There is more power and better fuel economy.
    And best of all the price was right.

Cheers.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BEP120 For This Useful Post:

Ibbo (20th October 2015), LaughingBeagles (10th April 2015), raywise (1st March 2016), S.A_Stu (3rd August 2015), Wreno (4th November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seems MAF sensors are hit and miss even a new OE one can fail, good to hear you sorted it out.
    OOI what were your EGTs at 100KPH

Thanks for sharing to
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Seems MAF sensors are hit and miss even a new OE one can fail, good to hear you sorted it out.
    OOI what were your EGTs at 100KPH

Thanks for sharing to

threedogs prior to fitting the exhaust, needle, Dawes valves and blocking the egr my egt was 450 to 500 deg centigrade at 110km/h. Now at 110km/h I sit between 350 and 400 deg centigrade and at around 12 psi boost.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BEP120 For This Useful Post:

dermie72 (23rd November 2016), S.A_Stu (3rd August 2015)