Thread: Bacho's GU6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by off it View Post
    It's possible that if you have been in muddy ruts mud has got between the rim and the tyre. This happened to me on a few occasions on an older set of tyres. Since I changed the tyres I haven’t had a problem. I had to have the tyre re-set on the wheel on a few occasions. Depending on how much mud gets in depends on how quick it goes down. It can take between several days to a number of hours before I noticed it.

Yeh that's what it turned out to be, just a bit of mud and gunk broke the seal. I took them down to the local tyre place and got them all re-set and balanced. All good now. Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as per some of my previous posts, I got myself an Runva 11XP winch as an early Christmas present. I'll put up a few photos off the installation and things I did along the way to help with the installation. As with all things, I'm sure there are a heap of different way to do things but this is just what worked for me

image.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as per Rocket's advice I removed the front grill and bash plate which provided heaps of room to get access for the installation. Was straight forward enough, just had to remove the 4 black plastic screw clips that hold the grill in the top and then pop out the 3 remaining plastic clips* and remove the 8 bolts holding on the bash plate to the bar.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Next step was to rotate the gearbox on the winch to suit the application. There are instructions for this on Runva's website and essentially involves removing the stainless steel tie bars to pull the gearbox off the winch and then removing the screw's to rotate the casing to the required position

It took a couple goes to get the angle right on the clutch for the application due to the non-existent access to the clutch from the top of the bar, and very limited access through the bull bar gaps.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Bacho86; 8th December 2014 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I was happy with the rotation of the gearbox, I fliped the winch around so that the gearbox was on the drivers side so that the winch bolted straight up to the bar and the rope fed out from the top. Once again as per Rocket's advice, the standard bolts weren't long enough once you included the width of the fair led - about 10mm short.

With one person holding up with winch from underneath like a bench press and the other bolting it up from the front it was a straight forward process.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Bacho86; 8th December 2014 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the most challenging problem was finding the best location to mount the solenoid / control box.

Once again due the bar / grill there was no real option of mounting the solenoid / control box on top of the bar like on other vehicles that I have seen. Because the winch cradle mounts vertically to the bar the normal mounting points included with the winch on the stainless steel tie bars didn't work.

I considered mounting within the engine bay, but to the size of the box didn't have a great spot that wouldn't impact on the installation of future mods.

As such I ended up having my brother fabricate up a bracket out of a couple sections of right angle steel that were left overs that allowed the control box to be mounted off the cross member.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Bacho86; 8th December 2014 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Final step was to wire it up it all up as per the Runva instructions which was all fairly straight forward. Big thanks to lucus30 for giving me a hand to crimp up the factory earth cables and install the new battery terminals.

There was a winch isolator included with the winch with a removable yet that I am yet to install (similar to the below photo).

Attachment 52510

The isolator switch appears to be good quality and of appropriate rating, however to install it means that I will need to get additional cables / modify lengths of existing cables to fit it in.

Also due to the size of it I haven't yet decided where exactly I want it under the bonnet - or if I want something more along the lines of an inline in-line winch power isloator that was included standard on my brothers 6HP Roos System winch and available from Road Runner...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=111523250323

image.jpg

So besides for a bit of clean up of some loose ends and working out where to permanently mount the number plate so that is doesn't interfere with the rope during installation, I'm pretty happy with how everything went.
    Last edited by Bacho86; 8th December 2014 at 10:56 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bacho86 For This Useful Post:

graeme1969 (8th December 2014), lucus30 (9th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work Bacho. It's rewarding when a job you do yourself works out. Glad I was of help, plenty have helped me in the past.
    Cheers Rod

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket55 View Post
    Nice work Bacho. It's rewarding when a job you do yourself works out. Glad I was of help, plenty have helped me in the past.
    Thanks mate, it was good finally to see it all wired up and working ready for the weekend! Mind you seeing how easily biggqweesty pulled apart and mounted the control box and I'm now starting to think about modifying ... I'll add it to the list to think about further - for now it'll do the trick.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bacho86 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th January 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed my 30" LED light bar this afternoon - was a tight squeeze to fit on the bull bar, but made up a bracket to offset the bar which provided more clearance

image.jpgimage.jpg

Got it on special from a Bright Light Auto Parts, rated IP68 and comes with a 5 year warranty - so should hopefully do the trick! Will add up photos from the night test run tomorrow

http://brightlightautoparts.com/Tech...BL-LB5WS30.pdf
    Last edited by Bacho86; 30th December 2014 at 08:22 PM.
    2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also finally got around to extending my diff breathers. Ended up buying a kit off http://www.nissangupatrol.com/ because I couldn't find any decently priced fuel / oil resistant hose anywhere easily. Kit cost about $65 and came with all the necessary fittings and instructions were available online.

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by Bacho86; 30th December 2014 at 10:37 PM.
    2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast