User Tag List

Thread: GQ starter motor plug issue

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ starter motor plug issue

Well the starter motor got full of mud, so I pulled it apart cleaned it all out and car was good for a week. Then I washed down the motor and after that starter wouldn't work but the solenoid would click over. So then I replaced the brushes and starter motor works when tested ( see video) when I put it back in the vehicle the solenoid clicks but the starter don't work. I feel it has something to do with the black plug part on the vehicles wiring side of the starter motor. I think the plug is an earth not a power feed, the wire disappears into a wire lume and I cant see where it goes to.
    I can short out the starter like in the video to start the engine.

Can anyone tell me how do I test\check the plug or is it possibly something else ?

The new brushes came from a local auto electrician place for $33.00

Last edited by Trolatron; 3rd November 2014 at 01:10 AM.
    2009 ST Wagon

My very much missed Shorty
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...rolatron/page7

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't see the video it's saying it's private.

How are you testing the starter? are you bridging the two large terminals together or are you supplying power to the smaller wire on the solenoid?

It could be a problem with the solenoid or a voltage drop in the vehicle's wiring causing the stater solenoid not to engage correctly.

Try connecting a voltmeter to the black wire with a yellow trace and record the reading when you try and start it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Trolatron (3rd November 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully you can see the video now.
    I had the earth on the motor casing and the positive on the main terminal on the solenoid then bridged the plug onto the 2nd terminal on the solenoid.
    Am I right thinking that the plug is an earth. But when I put a test light on the plug on the loom side of the connection the test light does not light up when I turn the key.
    I have a multimeter somewhere ill find it and put that on it, guessing its not the same as a voltmeter but its all I have.
    2009 ST Wagon

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The plug is not an earth it has power in it when you turn the key to start.

Going by what I can see and you stating that the vehicle will start if you short it out like in the video. Fitting a relay to the starter motor should fix your starting problems.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put my multimeter on the ignition side of the plug and got a reading of 1.11 when turning the key. Does this tell us anything ??
    The battery gave a reading of 12.31. The car starts easily when I short it out across the terminals so battery is good (plus its only 2 months old)

Miss driving my Trol its been 6 weeks now.

2009 ST Wagon

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say " ignition side of the plug". Is you multimeter connected to the the Black wire with the Yellow trace that connects to the starter motor solenoid?

Is that 1.1 volt reading taken with the ignition key turned to crank and the Black wire with the Yellow trace still connected to the starter motor solenoid?

If so that reading is very low and I'm surprised that the solenoid even makes a clicking noise when you try and start it.

You either have a faulty ignition switch or a bad connection is the wire harness between the ignition switch and starter motor.

With that reading fitting a relay may not overcome your problem. You will need to measure the voltage in the same Black wire with the Yellow trace at the back of the ignition switch.

Just confirming this is a TB42 we are talking about? is it an auto or manual?

If it's an auto there's already a relay fitted that might be the problem.