Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air filter help please - part required

Hi guys, 2nd post, it is going to take a while to get to 25 ;P

Patrol GU 2000 4.5ltr Petrol (Gas Convert) Auto.

I am in need of some info on the air filter canister outlet that connects to the plastic tube that then goes to the throttle body etc. Yesterday we had a case of the engine idling high. I identified that the accelerator lever would not fully disengage, just an extra 1/2 to 1 mm until the proper rest, I was able to apply some gentle pressure to the level and it would decrease the idle speed, not fully but far less. Since it was an all of sudden issue it had to be something broken like a spring or similar but no they all looked ok.

So I decided to remove the air inlet from the air filter and to my shock I found some black electrical tape had wrapped itself around both sides of the butterfly valve. Fortunately I was able to remove it, but the problem was where did it come from. So I started to undo the hose clamps back to the air filter and checking inside each one, then I discovered on the outlet of the air filter there was quite a bit of black electrical tape wrapped around it. I can see where it came from now as more had unwoven and was dangling inside the plastic tube and also across the outlet. Needless to say I removed all the tape and checked the rest of the air pipes for anymore, nothing more was found. As a rough guess maybe 5 meters of tape was there. After removing it I can now see why it was there as the plastic hose did not fit the Air Filter cannister outlet, the hose clamp was useless as it is plastic not rubber.

It looks to me that there is a sleeve or similar missing there that would enable the fit to be better. Can I ask if anyone knows if that is the case and what the part number or name is please so I can place an order for one.

Cheers

GW

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post a pic of the pipe /area in question, then ill go compare it to mine if you like ?

I don't have gas so may be no use, but may be worth a shot.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Pa...item43c63bae4b

Im going to guess that this is the bit you are referring to.

If so, i dont recall it having a sleeve or anything, it just fits as is. Maybe someone has switched it out for a different part then used the tape to make it seal.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to cut a piece of PVC pipe and slit it long ways to make up the difference,
    use a file to remove all the burrs first
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The outlet of the airbox is the MAF housing. There is a 4-5mm thick rubber sleeve that slips onto the MAF outlet where it goes into the plastic intake pipe which has the plastic "muffler" for the intake air noise.

Without this rubber sleeve you would indeed need something to fill the gap. Someone made a poor choice and used tape..

Is this the part you mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jff45; 2nd November 2014 at 04:16 PM.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (2nd November 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    The outlet of the airbox is the MAF housing. There is a 4-5mm thick rubber sleeve that slips onto the MAF outlet where it goes into the plastic intake pipe which has the plastic "muffler" for the intake air noise.

Without this rubber sleeve you would indeed need something to fill the gap. Someone made a poor choice and used tape..
    Sounds more like what I need, what is it called so I can do a search and find one to buy

Yes the tape was a very poor choice, I can only think it was during its last service (new guy I have not used as we moved house), Surely he would have found it otherwise. I'm not planning to go back there again, shoddy work.

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See image I added in my original reply..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body