Thread: My 6th Patrol is now a Y62

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 6th Patrol is now a Y62

Having spent a week or more in working out a replacement for my 2 yo Gu8 I ended up choosing a Landcruiser Vx diesel. However having once owned a toyota, was a little cautious of going ahead and betraying my loyalty to the patrols.They have never let me down and taken quite a hammering at times.
    So I dropped into a Nissan dealer to have a close look at the Y62. After the first drive I was hooked and didn't care about the "toted" huge fuel consumption. At the moment Nissan appear to be almost giving them away as a promotion to get more out there. The price difference was over $25,000. That would buy a lot of slabs of beer!!!
    My current 3 litre Patrol struggles to pull our caravan against the wind and up hill at the same time and was using 18-20 l/100 doing it. So the only real replacement choice was limited. One concern that tended to raise caution on a Toyota was several reports on Landcruiser forums of the motors getting "dusted" and need replacing after getting into the 150-200,000 klm range. Toyota was giving these guys a $8000 exchange discount on a new one at a price of around $30,000, so maybe they are not a long lasting proposition. They are a terrific machine just the same but at $25,000 more to buy. If this is not a few isolated instances it could become a bit of a problem for the brand.
    The Patrol in comparison also has less wind, engine and road noise getting into the cabin. I don't get the machine until next week so will give an update after I have driven around and towed my van. cheers!

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bullo For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (30th November 2014), Bob (1st November 2014), Clunk (1st November 2014), Dave_H (2nd November 2014), growler2058 (1st November 2014), GUtsy ute (1st November 2014), HuskyInAuz (30th November 2014), jack (1st November 2014), kevin07 (8th February 2015), NissanGQ4.2 (1st November 2014), Stropp (1st November 2014), threedogs (1st November 2014), TPC (1st November 2014), Winnie (3rd November 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck mate and let us know how she goes.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only i could,there are a few starting to appear on the roads now
    good luck with it

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be interested to hear how it goes, we need some reports on the Y62 on here.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bullo, I picked up my Y62, two weeks ago and absolutely love it. Like you i had settled on a cruiser but one test drive in the patrol and a sizable discount that allowed my to buy some other toys my decision was easy. It gets its bull bar fitted next week to go with the new exhaust and a K&n air filter. The only issue that I have with it is that it is wicked fast at the lights.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hegerty For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (4th November 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hegerty View Post
    Hi bullo, I picked up my Y62, two weeks ago and absolutely love it. Like you i had settled on a cruiser but one test drive in the patrol and a sizable discount that allowed my to buy some other toys my decision was easy. It gets its bull bar fitted next week to go with the new exhaust and a K&n air filter. The only issue that I have with it is that it is wicked fast at the lights.
    Yea, I still have all my points so will have to really watch out!! Where did you get your K @ N air filter from? (internet?). Nissan's polocy of getting some out there cheap will certainly pay off for them, however I don't think it will last long as I saved over $25,000 on what I was prepared to pay and got a Kayak carrier, tow bar, bonnet protector, electric brake sensor and headlight shields included. All that would eat into their margin, since these came to Australia the Yen has risen a lot against the Aussie dollar. I actually can't see a better time to spend our money, maybe this time next year the value of our vehicle purchases may have risen by 20% or more!!!! This happened in the late 1970's. cheers,

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bullo For This Useful Post:

preacher (9th January 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the K&n from eBay usa. It is for a qx80 infiniti. Got the exhaust from factorydirect4x4exhausts.com.au.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked the beast up yesterday! Yep fallen in love again. Oh well!!! I filled up and had 740 klms shown to empty and drove home to York 130 klms and the distance to empty was updating to show 898 klms by the time I got home. Really quite good I thought. Seems true that by gentle acceleration you are getting terrific economy for a 2.7 ton vehicle. Apart from that there is 50 klms of rough and windey road,the suspension just soaked it up. No wind noise either. Thanks Hegerty, have ordered a K & N. cheers!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bullo For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (8th November 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday Everyone new to this forum, awesome reading top forum , great to see so many of us sticking with the Patrol.

Bullo may I ask if you have had a chance to tow with it yet?

I have ordered mine and am coming out of a GU6, I would be very interested to hear how it tows new. Heard some differing reports. Sometimes its a bit hard to work out fiction from fact.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am off in a couple of days time for about a 600 k round trip towing a full size 2.8 ton off road van and will let you know how it goes. I am hoping for 19-23 l/100k's as that appears to be the range, a lot depends on wind direction and your speed. I will update in just over a weeks time. I have done 2 fills and ordinary driving used 7.6l/K and 7.3l/K 80% country and 20% city. I am quite amazed at how economical they are but don't put you foot down too fast or hard when taking off. cheers!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bullo For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (30th November 2014), Clunk (30th November 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast