Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback on the Y61

Hi.

I've owned a Navara D40 and I'm now looking at replacing it with a new Y61.

Being a Patrol forum I thought this would be one good place to get a balance view on these vehicles. I've had experience of very anit <insert vehicle type here> posts this week and find most of them totally unhelpful. I'm sure this forum won't be like that.

I'm looking at the Y61 ST or the ST with the Titanium pack which includes factory fitted Bullbar, winch, roof racks, snorkel, satnave options. I'd be adding these anyway so this might save me a few dollars.

So, what are you thoughts on the good things AND the back things about the Y61? Is there anything I should be aware of before buying one?

Cheers
    Shane

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    good to go straight out of the showroom IMO
    last of the real 4x4s [live axle]
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane H View Post
    Being a Patrol forum I thought this would be one good place to get a balance view on these vehicles.
    Well I don't know about balanced view. Ive have an 05 ST and it does everything I want. Mine is the lower end of the grunt scale at 3.0lt but goes well on the open road with a trailer behind. if I eventually get a caravan or bigger trailer to tow I might have to look for more power.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shane , i believe the titanium pack is a good buy mate and will be more than capable for most needs.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked around before buying mine, compared the others on the market and selected the Y61. Been very capable and I've done some fairly hard trips with it while towing and it hasn't missed a beat.
    The motor has been around for a while and they have sorted out the earlier problems, it's currently outselling the new V8 model.
    Only complaint I have is the radio reception is crap. I'd also recommend an after market rear bar, the standard plastic one is just rubbish - Uneek (a vendor here) does a nice one but have a look around.
    I went automatic and very happy with the choice, I'd buy another one if I had to make the same decision.
    Last edited by jack; 29th October 2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you straight up , 4 months ago , i traded a modded D-40 on a new Patrol , i had the D-40 from new as well , was the best thing I've ever done , its an awesome truck , and despite what others say , fuel economy is much the same , i got an auto and its already modded , cooper st maxx and 2 inch lift and Liam getting 12.5 lphk on the open road , much the same as i was in the D-40 , build quality , and overall its not on the same planet as the D-40 i.e. sooooo much better , by the way i loved my D-40 so jam not $hit canning it , i brought my patrol just before this deal came out , so i am a little miffed missing out , but i got the ARB bar , winch , and ARB alloy rack , so yours would be a bargain , GO FOR IT , you won't be disappointed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with old steve. I really loved my D40, but changed it for a Patrol 6 months ago. Turned out to be the best thing I ever did. The main differences that I noticed were that the Patrol rides better-particularly on those long country drives and has less cabin noise than the Navara (but that may be my tires). Funnily enough I get similar fuel economy in my Patrol as I did for my Navara. Put it this way, if I won lotto tomorrow I would still keep my Patrol !!
    2011 GU Patrol ST ute, 3.0L CRD