Thread: Engine problems?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine problems?

Received such good help in the past that I am trying my luck again.

I just drove 20km, stopped for 20min and so and started the car but it didnt start smoothly. The car shaked and with driving it sometimes had a drop in power. 10min later I tried again, just starting was fine but without driving, revs dropped several tines from 1000ish to 800 resulting in a short shake. I have this on lpg and petrol.
    It is redicously hot today in brisbane and the aircon is on max. Thermostat doesnt give any problems and was replaced shortly, same as battery and coolant etc. Unsure if it is a fuel thing or something else. Before I bring it to a mechanic I figured I might ask you guys if you have any ideas. Didnt had any problems this morning.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If its that hot you may be getting vapourisation in the fuel lines. The 1000 to 800 RPM drop at idle may just be your air con compressor kicking in and out. Is it only on hotdays?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had starting problems ages ago when the car actually overheated. This is the first time since that. It sounds like it almost stalls. And starting takes a couple of tries as well, while it normally just goes. So you reckon it isnt any big thing? When I accelerate it goes well, so you might be right about fuel evaporation

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    what fuel is it doing it on ??
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both fuels. I was mainly driving on lpg but when I switched to petrol I got the same issue with starting and idle

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems today so I guess it was just the hot weather. Still bit unsure if it is normal or a problem. Do more ppl experience this when it is hot?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I take it your engine has a carby? I have had a look on my RB30, but would expect it to be similar to a TB42 in this respect.

It has a solenoid valve which is operated by the air conditioner circuit. The solenoid is mounted near the brake booster and has a black wire and an Orange/blue, or Orange/purple wire.

This solenoid operates a vacuum line which pulls on a diaphragm that raises the engine revs whenever the air conditioner kicks in.

Check that the hose is connected, and that the diaphragm is intact and working as it could be causing a vacuum leak as well as not raising the revs when it is needed.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I take it your engine has a carby? I have had a look on my RB30, but would expect it to be similar to a TB42 in this respect.

It has a solenoid valve which is operated by the air conditioner circuit. The solenoid is mounted near the brake booster and has a black wire and an Orange/blue, or Orange/purple wire.

This solenoid operates a vacuum line which pulls on a diaphragm that raises the engine revs whenever the air conditioner kicks in.

Check that the hose is connected, and that the diaphragm is intact and working as it could be causing a vacuum leak as well as not raising the revs when it is needed.
    I think that's called the idle air control or IAC valve.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In consequence of the extreme heat is more rapid evaporation of the fuel. I think the failures because of this. It is possible to cool the intake manifold water.