Thread: engine maintenance on 2009 GU crd

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

engine maintenance on 2009 GU crd

Hi all, I've just taken possession of Gu6 crd patrol and have read quite a bit about NADS etc. The engine looks in pretty good nic, no signs of oil on the intercooler ends and there's only a little oil around the turbo. I've cleaned the MAF sensor this morning which was not overly grubby but looked like it needed it and I swear it's running smoother and got more power - yea i know about placebo . I'm not going jump straight into blocking the EGR or fitting mods but would like to fit some guages and clean the inlet manifold and anything else that is going to prevent the poor performance of the engine. I'd like to hear anyone's advice on what components I should clean or replace as a priority... and also if installing a catch can is necessarily a priority?
    Its a 3.0l turbo zd30 which has done 130k.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    installing a catch can will hopefully keep your Maf a bit cleaner for longer.
    First off I'd fit a boost and EGT gauge to monitor whats going on.
    You'll be surprised what a dirty MAF will do so no not a placebo effect
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate yes have read all about the boost and EGT gauges and one thing I was wondering was that since the scan guage II can show manifold pressure which according to the website equates to boost pressure, would having one mean no need for a boost gauge?
    Also is that all a catch can really does? ie. Keep the MAF cleaner for longer.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your going to the effort to clean the intake I would fit a catch can at the same time, if not its just going to build up again

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have an ECU-Talk for my motor but I think the gauges show whats happening better
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrymoto View Post
    Thanks mate yes have read all about the boost and EGT gauges and one thing I was wondering was that since the scan guage II can show manifold pressure which according to the website equates to boost pressure, would having one mean no need for a boost gauge?
    Also is that all a catch can really does? ie. Keep the MAF cleaner for longer.
    If you run a Scangauge the only other gauge you require is EGT.

The scangauge shows the intercooler outlet plenum pressure in PSIA with the A being absolute pressure IE if atmospheric pressure is 14 PSI and the Turbo is boosting 16 PSI then the Scangauge will display 30 PSI (ambient pressure + turbo pressure = absolute pressure).
    Your engine compresses abolute pressure X the compression ration to give you the cylinder pressure

A "normal" boost gauge works in PSIG and only displays the pressure difference across the Turbo so it will display 16 PSI
    The issue is that atmospheric pressure varies from around a max of 15 ish to high 12's depending on altitude, temp and humidity.

You have several options
    1. Get used to working in PSIA as that number is what you want to know anyway and is what determines overboost etc.
    2. You can program the Scangauge to 'deduct' a constant number of say 14.7 from the absolute pressure and display the result but that is only accurate at that ambient pressure
    3. Fit a 'normal' boost gauge but be aware that on high or low pressure days or at altitude IE in the alps etc it will be in error.

I highly recommend option 1 because;
    If the Boost PSIA is say 25 PSI that means the cylinder pressure will be 500 PSI in a 20:1 compression engine, and
    The numbers are constant IE you get used to seeing a similar number at cruise or boost limit etc

Options 2 or 3 mean that the cylinder pressure can vary be 460 to 520 for the same displayed boost figure (10 PSIG or so)

You would use 2 or 3 if all you want to know is the Turbo efficiency but it is the cylinder pressure that is critical to engine stress
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Stropp (28th October 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Option 1 is the go for me thanks for that mate you're a dead set legend. For less than 200 bucks its a no brainer I reckon. Look for my post coming soon pleading for install advice :-P

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So apart from gauges and an inlet manifold clean up would you recommend any other clean up jobs be done under the hood soon after 130000 ks? Can the turbo or intercooler be cleaned? if so is it necessary?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm pretty sure I've got it now... basically I want to clean up the entire air intake system from the where the egr feeds crap back into the intake hose and then through the turbo and intercooler and last of all the manifold. I plan to give the sensors along the route a good clean up regularly as well. Im definitely going to then install a catch can (I'm dumbfounded why this would not be a factory fitting - I thought I just heard a Nissan executive manager in the corner over there muttering something about planned obsolescence). So then about an egr block but still some more to consider there that I might put into another thread.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2008 CRD, first mods I bought were Scanguage, EGR block and Provent 200. Dont want those nasties clogging anything up!!
    2008 GU ST Bog stock and no smoking barrels!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast