Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 63% reduction gears fitted

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubba View Post
    Yeah mate, having an auto made my 1st low range quite poor with me wanting another gear to drop down to on very steep climbs. I would be struggling in 1st low with my mates cruising up in 2nd low. So big test this weekend. getting excited now.
    Thats really odd to me, i have found that 2nd low was best for me, to much wheel spin in 1st, and have done a lot of wheeling like that. I do agree with 1st low going down hill being a hassle.

My car is a 4.5 auto on gas as well
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubba View Post
    Yeah mate, having an auto made my 1st low range quite poor with me wanting another gear to drop down to on very steep climbs. I would be struggling in 1st low with my mates cruising up in 2nd low. So big test this weekend. getting excited now.
    Bloody oath I'm hanging to try mine out

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuckieGQ View Post
    On super steep hills, my low 1st isn't always the best - sometimes end up riding the clutch when going up, or touching the brakes when going down which causes sliding if it's muddy
    You really should keep your foot well away from the clutch when ascending a steep hill. My low 1st will climb almost anything but have been considering reduction gears for a while, mainly for super slow and controlled decents. Think I'm going to change the diff centres first though.

The 65%ers sound like like they're the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

threedogs (12th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out with my 63% reduction gears today and found them to be fantastic. Going up hill I now have more than enough for almost anything that I will encounter, and down hill is such a massive improvement. some of the steepest stuff I did today I didn't need to touch the break at all, going down in full control with the reves around 1500- 2000, very happy with my investment. I would still love to see a set 85s in action to see how much of a step up they would be. I would think they would be far too low for the kind of stuff I do, heading into competition territory I reckon. The 43s wouldn't be worth looking at I feel.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chubba For This Useful Post:

cgm (9th November 2014), RubberDuckieGQ (9th November 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks for the update!

So stuff for which 1 low was previously alright, would you use 2 low for that now?

Did it take long to get used to?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuckieGQ View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the update!

So stuff for which 1 low was previously alright, would you use 2 low for that now?

Did it take long to get used to?

Yeah, I have only been out once so more runs are needed but I would say 2nd low now is what 1st use to be may be even a little lower, I will know more when I get back to the high country and tackle some of those tracks that I have had experience on. as to getting use to them well the more you do the better you will know but having the revs in the right range for whatever speed and the gear you are in is a feel you have for your own car. I mean you can tell if your car is labouring or in that sweet spot without knowing what gear you are in, adjusting as you go.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chubba For This Useful Post:

RubberDuckieGQ (10th November 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back for another update on my gears. Just got back from the High Country and I got to say that the 63% reduction gears that I have fitted are easily the best mod that I have done and possibly ever could do being an auto. Going down steep grades without touching the break, beautiful. Going uphill in drive and the trans chooses 3rd gear, amazing. Low enough for safe hill descent and high enough not to be constantly changing from high to low. Very Very happy.
    "GO YOU CROWS"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chubba For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (12th July 2015), jay see (12th July 2015), katwoman (12th July 2015), threedogs (12th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What are your thoughts on these 63% fitted to a 3ltr TD auto.
    Next on my list is a Pro-Locker for the front.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They sound like a great investment. The Patrols only come with 2:1 reduction as standard which is not very low. A lot of other makes come with around 2.5:1 reduction gears which helps them a lot. My 3.0 ltr TD is a manual and I find that I sometimes have to scrub some speed off using the brake on steep descents or that the motor lugs in 1st low up steep inclines when traveling slow for control.

From memory they do 45%, 63% and 85% reduction gears? Looks like picking the middle option gives you around 2.6:1 reduction which is the most versatile.

EDIT: Just looked up Marks adapters and reduction ratios are as follows:
    24% ---------- 2.484:1
    43% ---------- 2.86:1
    85% ---------- 3.743:1

Where did you get the 63% reduction ratios Chubba? Are the a Marks adapter item or is someone else making them?
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 12th July 2015 at 12:22 PM.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    What are your thoughts on these 63% fitted to a 3ltr TD auto.
    Next on my list is a Pro-Locker for the front.
    Well threedogs I don't know if you followed the group buy thread that was on here but I bought two sets, one for me and one for my brother. He had a 4.5L petrol auto at the time but as things worked out he was rear ended in the petrol before he had a chance to install the gears. it was a wright off and he ended up getting a 3l TD auto. He was on the trip with me and he is just as pleased as me. My thoughts are "DO IT"

Rocktrol, They are from Marsk's and they don't normally do the 63s but a fella on here organized a group buy, he needed 20 orders min, I think he ended up with about 25 and Marks made them. Here's the link http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...tion-for-GQ-GU
    Last edited by Chubba; 26th July 2015 at 12:50 PM.
    "GO YOU CROWS"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast