Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: darwin perth february 2014

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

darwin perth february 2014

hi, first attempt to do a planning wasn t really successful Katherine Hot Springs closed - bungle bungle closed - gibbs river road closed ivanhoe crossing closed doen t know about Karijini yet .
    So we have decided to change plans and to go by Elsey Park, Alice Springs then take a hook to the left through Ayers Rock upto Warburton and then hanger right and cut across country (we like cutting off the angles) and heading up towards Newman.
    We know that this is a pretty hot time of the year, we had 50° in Morocco a couple of years ago and survived.
    Got any suggestions or advice
    We re looking for maps that we can put on our laptop that has TTQV ...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2015 not 2014

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It really is the wrong time to travel the Outback in the summer time,
    the Monsoons are in Darwin and desert temps can reach mid to high 40's C
    May to October is an ideal time with temps right down,
    And yes check to see the roads you're travelling on are open and what if any permits are required
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Warburton and then hanger right and cut across country (we like cutting off the angles) and heading up towards Newman.
    I think you need a permit for Warburton - not sure. I wouldn't even take my Patrol from Warburton to Newman in Feb unless there was no possible alternative. Thats killer country at that time of year. If you really have to go that way take plenty of extra water and get a sat phone and radio. EPIRB would be a good idea too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trouble isn't so much the heat when all is going well ( and it is super hot ), but the flooding and road closures that go along with it...... or the possibility of breakdown / stranding, when there is not as much traffic around.

I lived in the Northern Territory for 3 years, and we all survived the heat in summer, but the unpredictability of the rain and the large volumes of water make most unsealed roads impassable.

Better off looking at the East Coast of Australia for February, and your holiday will be easier to plan. Try May onwards for the top end and interior - still hot, but more stable weather patterns.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Avo (16th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki & Chris View Post
    hi, first attempt to do a planning wasn t really successful Katherine Hot Springs closed - bungle bungle closed - gibbs river road closed ivanhoe crossing closed doen t know about Karijini yet .
    So we have decided to change plans and to go by Elsey Park, Alice Springs then take a hook to the left through Ayers Rock upto Warburton and then hanger right and cut across country (we like cutting off the angles) and heading up towards Newman.
    We know that this is a pretty hot time of the year, we had 50° in Morocco a couple of years ago and survived.
    Got any suggestions or advice
    We re looking for maps that we can put on our laptop that has TTQV ...
    1. After Alice or Yulara you will need permits to access the roads across aboriginal land.
    2. Not all roads on maps are open to travel IE many are aboriginal busines roads and closed permanently to tourists.
    3. There is no way you will be allowed to cut across country IE you cannot leave the road or camp anywhere other than the designated town/roadhouse/camping grounds
    4. Whose vehicle are you using? If it is a hire car or loaner you will need to check if they allow you onto the gravel roads and tracks west of Yulara to Docker River and Warburton or across to Kintore and Kiwirrkurra to Newman (eventually).
    5. Most of the central tourist areas will be closed or have restricted access due to heat IE the Uluru climb, the Kings Canyon Rim Walk etc

Having just returned from out that way if I were you and you are set upon that route and can get the Permits I would travel from Alice to Yulara (Uluru and Kata Juta) then north to the McDonnel Ranges (Kings Canyon and the Gorges) then get a Permit to travel across to Newman via Kintore.

Alternatively you can get the permits to travel the Great Central Road from Yulara thru Docker River, Warburton and Warrakurna (Giles) to Tjukayirla.
    Just after Tjukayirla depending on Permits and Road Closures you can;
    Turn right and head up the David Carnegie Track then the Talawanna Track to Newman or
    Turn right and head up the David Carnegie Track then the left on the Gunbarrel to Wiluna or
    Stay on the Great Central to Laverton then across to the Great Northern Hwy (Bitumen)

In Feb I would not even consider travelling out there without any two of either an EPIRB, HF Radio, Sat Phone.
    I also would not do it as a single vehicle as there will be very little other traffic out there that time of year

Without any disrespect I need to mention that you need to be cognisant that you will be crossing several deserts one of which is almost the size of Morocco on it's own, the tracks that do exist are "Vehicle Killers" and support in case of an emergency can take a couple of days to get to you.

Many visitors to Australia have done worse terrain in their travels and I totally respect that however it is the vast distances and sparse population centres or support that catch them out.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 16th October 2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (6th January 2015), DX grunt (16th October 2014), Hodge (4th March 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok guys thanks for your help I think we re gonna stick to the original plan. Thing is that planes are reserved coz this is the only time of year when we can get rid of the kids. Didn t realize that your needed permission for certain roads and don t feel like dying this year it s not on my planning lol So we ll be cool and take the victoria and great northern up to port hedland then see wot we can do from there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicki & Chris For This Useful Post:

Stropp (16th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi mate, broome is worth a stop, very touristy and expensive but worth a look and eighty mile beach is absolutely worth dropping into, coral bay also below karratha is very nice, karrajini should be open but it will be in the 40 deg celcius that time of year as will the rest of your trip, take heaps of water and make sure you have a mobile phone with telstra as a minimum in case of trouble, telstra has a better mobile coverage thatn any other carrier but it will not have coverage in a lot of the roads you are travelling.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Safest way IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki & Chris View Post
    ok guys thanks for your help I think we re gonna stick to the original plan. Thing is that planes are reserved coz this is the only time of year when we can get rid of the kids. Didn t realize that your needed permission for certain roads and don t feel like dying this year it s not on my planning lol So we ll be cool and take the victoria and great northern up to port hedland then see wot we can do from there.
    No worries.

If you travel from Yulara in the N.T. to Laverton in W.A. via Yulara and the Great Central road you will only need one set of two permits.
    The Permits will get you from Docker River to Laverton via;
    Warakurna (population 200, fuel available), may I recommend the tour of the Meteorological Station, local Art Gallery and museum pieces
    Warburton (population 500, fuel available), cheap, clean, secure camping at the roadhouse
    Tjukayirla (population 2, fuel available), if you aren't camping here then at least stop for a Tjukaburger, they are awesome.
    Cosmo Newberry (population 50, fuel available) only needed if you cannot make Laverton where the bitumen starts

Here is a link to the online permit site. Note that there are expiry time limits so don't apply too soon
    http://www.outbackway.org.au/get-permits.html
    You need two permits IE the NT and the WA ones;
    NT is the Yulara to WA/NT Border via Docker River and
    WA is the WA Great Central Road (look under Goldfields in the permit form)

The road itself is awfully corrugated around Docker River but fair to good from the Border to Laverton.
    Budget on AUD 2:50 a litre for fuel

May I also suggest that if time and budget permit you travel to Yulara via Namitjira Drive and the Macdonnell Ranges and look at the Gorges or via LarapintadDrive to Hermansburg to see Palm Valley (awesome).
    Then obtain a Meereenie Loop Road Permit (easy to get on the spot) to use Larapinta Drive to Gosses Bluff and Kings Canyon then Luritja Road to pick up the Lasseter Hwy to Yulara

If you can't do the Macdonnells and come down the Stuart Hwy to the Lasseter Hwy junction to get to Yulara may I suggest
    Rainbow Valley is worth a look but early or late in the day to get the best pic's
    Henbury Meteorite Craters if that interests you as well
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Avo (16th October 2014), Clunk (16th October 2014), DX grunt (16th October 2014), Nicki & Chris (16th October 2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast