Thread: Winch drum getting hot just winding rope in and out

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wheel bearing grease I used is lithium complex. So it has the same properties as lmm but its waterproof. Both are extreme pressure greases, which is whats needed, but is tackier than lmm which may be the drawback in using such greasr in this situation.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    Why are you guys using LMM grease out of curiosity ??? That grease is usually used in ball joints,cv's/ uni's or areas that are slow moving and are under an extreme pressure like earth moving equipment buckets. HTB or other types of hight temp bearing grease won't break down to oil like the LMM will ??
    I used HTB originally but I was very surprised at how bound up the free spool became, did not function at all! I stripped it out and cleaned it all up and went to LMM and it works as it should.

As Drew states its a slow speed environment.

That part you posted mark is the Cam and is what engages the brake and sold slide freely along the centre shaft.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Alitis007 (15th October 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a marine trailer htb in mine from memory it was blue in colour and it was a bit more stiff but manageable

6. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

mudski (13th October 2014)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I used HTB originally but I was very surprised at how bound up the free spool became, did not function at all! I stripped it out and cleaned it all up and went to LMM and it works as it should.

As Drew states its a slow speed environment.

That part you posted mark is the Cam and is what engages the brake and sold slide freely along the centre shaft.
    That cam Darren, see in the pic it is two pieces. The centre section is in the tapered cone. The two are stuck together. I take it they are pressed together? And not supposed to come apart.
    As for the grease. I am in two minds. The lmm will make it move a bit more freely, but has no water resistance. The brake on this was badly choked with dirt and rust. I might put it back together and see how it runs.

Stupid question. What will the breather achieve? The winch isn't totally water proof so water is going to get in regardless.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should be able to seal it p pretty well mate. I was able to seal up the gear box and motor and put a breather into both. If you can seal it then the LMM issue is not that it a deal mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (13th October 2014), mudski (13th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    You should be able to seal it p pretty well mate. I was able to seal up the gear box and motor and put a breather into both. If you can seal it then the LMM issue is not that it a deal mate.
    x2 Mark. Silicone is your friend. Mine is sealed up nice and watertight and I added the breathers so should get fugg-all water ingress.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

mudski (13th October 2014)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    x2 Mark. Silicone is your friend. Mine is sealed up nice and watertight and I added the breathers so should get fugg-all water ingress.

Water will still get in where the drum meets the gear housing and motor. Theres only a Nylon sealing ring to stop the water getting through which sits in the housing. Well on my TJM thats how it is. Its all siliconed up too.
    Whats the breather going to achieve anyway? Slow moving gears wouldn't produce enough vacuum to worry about it I would assume.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's for heat. When the hot winch hits cold high country water you have more likelihood of water ingress without a breather.....just like your diffs.

But if you don't want to use the LMM, don't. Go with what you want to use.....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    It's for heat. When the hot winch hits cold high country water you have more likelihood of water ingress without a breather.....just like your diffs.

But if you don't want to use the LMM, don't. Go with what you want to use.....

Yeah good explanation mate. Thanks. Still stewing over the grease though. :0

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant you vacuum them once sealed like you would for anything else with a small compressor ?
    the one thing wrong with middle age ...is knowing you will grow out of it !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast