Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MQ(260) glow plugs

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried removing the earth, but no luck, I think either the relay or the control unit is faulty
    I'm going to junk the second relay, and the control unit
    Have ordered a timer relay that is adjustable, going to fit this where the control unit is.
    Should be able to use this to control the original primary glow plug relay, and operate the glow plug light for the duration that the timer is set for
    It starts perfectly now, no smoke !
    Found the control unit, it is under the steering column on my model.... Just need to figure out which wire is which now !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is the wiring diagram for the RD28T that was in the Y60. We didn't get the MQ with the RD28T over here.

I'm not sure if this wiring diagram is correct for your vehicle you will need to confirm. Hopefully it will help you.

Yes just wire up your timer to switch the original glow plug relay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, will take a look and see if the wiring matches the wiring on the plug of the control unit
    It does seem the MQ with the RD28t is quite rare, the only service manual I've found is in Spanish !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nightmare, it's been working great for a couple of week, and just the last couple of days back to clouds of smoke and not starting on the first crank
    I guess some of the glow plugs have died , if that's not bad enough .... I can't get the old ones out
    Has anyone else had this problem after fitting 4.2 plugs into a 2.8 ?
    They unscrew all the way out the thread, but just can't pull them out !!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorted... I had to make a slide hammer with a M4 thread to screw on to the glow plug terminal to get them out !
    Worked though !
    The end of the glowplug was like a balloon . I think I've over heated them by holding the button on after the engine had started
    Put in new plugs and she runs again !
    Maybe we do need the post glow in the UK , cause if I only hold the button on for 10 seconds then crank and release the button , she starts but then runs rough for a minute or two
    It it's quite cold here !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone fitted the Bogaard Glow plug controllers ? They appear to only be available in Australia, I cant find a UK supplier
    I believe you can set a post glow to pulse the glowplugs , that way I can use the 4.2 Plugs with out burning them out !
    Post glow is definitely required in UK winter temperatures !

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same engine and I think the original sistem must keept working especialy for postglow feature . Most common malfunctions is from a burnt contact points or burnt flexible wire inside relays ( big black one , double switch for postglow , and not so big black simple switch relay for rapid 6 seconds preglow ) . Is not dificult to fix using a similar flexible wire from carbon brush ( found in electric starters ) , or using some another relays for glowplugs ( same relays is in similar motor in Patrol Y60 , easy to find at wrekers , only a diferent metal braket and diferent place under the hood - next to the batery under the metal lid ) or some ordinary relays found in any diesel engine car .
    The sistem is simple , a temperature sensor in engine head , a control unit who rarely cause problems and the two relays - nothing to be scared about . The corect glowplugs is NGK CZ51 6,5V ( 1+2+3 cil electric conected alt threaded body and M4 terminal ) , NGK CX 51 6,5V , with insulated body , electric conected at M4 and small insulated plateau .

Most common mistakes is wrong check glowplus , wrong glowplug instal especialy at 4+5+6 cil without insulation spacers , wrong glowplugs . Most common defects is burnt glowplugs ( only preglow feature work , with 12V direct feed at all glowplugs ) , postglow not working because glowplugs supose to be in serial - 4+5+6 pozitive feed in serial with 1+2+3 ... if one or more glowplugs is not OK , postglow will not work ) .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also problem with glow, and i find that my 3 cylinder and 4, 5 cylinder is not working glow plug.

Result is no heating at all, car is not stariting and heating lamp in cabine is blinking.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrol is 2.8 TD RD28T 1991.g

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope when i put new glow plugs will work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast