Thread: Driving 4wd tracks

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving 4wd tracks

Hey guys just after some info for you guy about tracks and what we are to do and where going. I did a bit of the biancentenial national trail today and it went on to someone property who had private property signs up but were clearly on the right road with 1 road gps which picked it up and the Hema map app on my phone. So we proceeded through 4 gates on this property only to get half way and a gate be pad locked. Was a beautiful track along the hill tops but was unfortunate we had to turn around and go back. Can a property holder loack a track like this? Are you aloud to go in to begin with even though it's a public trail? If someone can point me in the right direction for the future that would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toad_au; 6th October 2014 at 08:28 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Trail links eighteen of Australia's national parks and more than 50 state forest providing access to some of the wildest, most remote country in the world.[5]*The Bicentennial National Trail is suitable for self-reliant horse riders, walkers and mountain bike riders. Parts of the Trail, such as some of the*Jenolan Caves*to Kosciuszko section, are suitable for horse-drawn vehicles.[5]*Most of the trail route is not open to motorised vehicles or trail bikes, and pets or dogs are not permitted. The trail is divided into 12 sections, of 400 to 500 kilometres, each with a corresponding guide book.

Not sure of what part you were on, but the trail is normally used by horse riders, and bushwalkers ... not vehicles, especially here in Victoria
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

toad_au (7th October 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess they can? GPS shows private roads too i think

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the track in question is on the Hema maps mid north coast NSW as a minor dirt road
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this in Google

http://www.bicentennialnationaltrail.com.au/

In their FAQ's the say no motorized transport allowed. It's unfortunate as it would be a spectacular trail and people may actually use it then. Can't imagine too many people ride a push bike through the Barringtons. Lol
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I done some research for you. I used the GDA Dept of Lands Barrington Tops 9133-1N 2nd edition map.

There are parts of the bicentennial trail that are 4wd trails. From Stewarts Brook the bicentennial trail goes very close to the top of Mount Barrington but does fall short of it by about 3km. It continues to loop around with different options so there isn't much you can't drive. It does show many gates along the way but doesn't say if locked or not. If its a public road/track I don't think the farmer can lock it. It's a right if way.

I'd be getting the map and going to NPWS to enquire about trail and gates. Be sure to let me know what they say. I might be keen to go on this trail too. Looks interesting.
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip'n'Shred For This Useful Post:

RubberDuckieGQ (20th October 2014), toad_au (6th May 2015)