Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Useless touring accessories I have installed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Useless touring accessories I have installed

Thought I would start a thread dedicated to the accessories that sounded good at the time but after using them realised didn't really suit my needs! And the reasons why .
    Be aware that others may love these items that make their trips more enjoyable so play nice!

To start off my awning is a pain and I'm sorry I ever purchased one. Going to put it on my camper instead why?
    It's heavy.
    Possibly only been used 6 times in the last 40,000 touring km's .
    It's to small when raining.
    Never enough shadow when sunny
    Used to use a freedom tent tarp that covered a bigger area for rain.
    Cost a fortune in extra fuel to lug around.
    Always worried I will take it out on a tree on tight tracks.

So there you go!
    Hopefully the future posts will help others considering the pros and cons of purchasing accessories!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to liftlid For This Useful Post:

Bob (6th October 2014), growler2058 (6th October 2014), my third 256 (7th October 2014), Playmoney08 (4th January 2016), Sir Roofy (6th October 2014), threedogs (6th October 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree on the awning.... got mine for my 40th and never used it properly in anger... it only got me angry..lol

Fitted an AM radio...

I am sure there are many more.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AM radio?
    There must be a story behind that?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like my awning but I do wish they made them bigger... 2.5x2 is not big enough. I would like a 3x2.5
    I use mine more on boys trips to set the swag up underneath. Also good for cooking in the rain.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I like my awning but I do wish they made them bigger... 2.5x2 is not big enough. I would like a 3x2.5
    I use mine more on boys trips to set the swag up underneath. Also good for cooking in the rain.
    Making sand flags with electrical conduit... Bad idea! Don't be a tight ass Winnie and buy a real one

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

AB (6th October 2014), Bloodyaussie (6th October 2014), MudRunnerTD (6th October 2014), Stropp (6th October 2014), threedogs (6th October 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Always worried with running roof racks on harder trips as I've damaged the gutters many times and would hate to write off a roof rack and awning. Ok maybe not the awning!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liftlid View Post
    Always worried with running roof racks on harder trips as I've damaged the gutters many times and would hate to write off a roof rack and awning. Ok maybe not the awning!!!!
    I remember having to go back up an extreme track cause you LOST YOUR ROOF RACK!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I remember having to go back up an extreme track cause you LOST YOUR ROOF RACK!
    Hehe. What a shame more driving

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love my Awnings. have 2 on the GUIV and they are great. I dont use them a heap but when i need them they are fantastic.

I have fair skin and need shade. i use them for shade at lunch stops. I used the back one to shade the back of the car and the fridges when static camping for the win.

The week i spent up at Woodspoint in the winter it was great. 3 cars all had them, we circled the camp fire and were nearly touching corners. had a camp fire in the middle and all the smoke went up the centre, we all sat under awnings and had a great night.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (6th October 2014), neet_wagon (24th March 2015), threedogs (19th October 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Useless......

When i did my GQ rebuild i spent a heap of time and effort nutting out an amazing Air system including no less than 5 switches and isolating air solenoids. Was Sooooo proud of it.

So...... get int eh car now and it turns out for me to pump up my tyres i have to have this isolated and that turned off and this switched to that and well bugger me dead! It was a fail and would take 5 minutes of checking for air in the wrong places to know it was set right. I am in the middle of stripping it all out and revamping it right now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast