OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY winch cradle for GU alloy bar.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY winch cradle for GU alloy bar.

Thought I'd share a few pics of the build process to help anyone out there that might want to try their hand at making one.
    My original idea was to buy the premade one to suit the bar but jff45 led me astray with his thread "here"
    It consists of 50x75x3mm RHS, 75x3mm flat, 40x40x3mm SHS and 2 pieces of 50x80x3mm angle and cost me $51 in steel all up.
    I had to pull out the trusty old stick welder for this one because my MIG is on a job and too much of a pain to bring back home just for a few welds.

The winch I decided on is a Tigerz11 12000lb Grande MKII as I know a few guys with them and can't fault them plus the price was what I wanted.
    I got it to a point where I could mount the winch but wasn't sure about where to put the solenoid just yet.

I ended up pulling the solenoid out of the box and mounting it up in the drivers side corner near the brake booster. It wasn't the best idea for big hands but worked out in the end.

The fairlead is attached similar to jff45's but I used the 2 spacers that sit between the chassis and bullbar brackets to mount it.
    Sorry I didn't get more detailed photo's but to be fair, it was 2am at this stage and I just wanted it done.
    Nothing is attached to the alloy bar so there's no chance of shifting during hard winching.

The controller plug is under the dash and will soon be accompanied with an arm switch and rocker so I don't have to plug anything in if I'm winching from in the cab.

All in all, it was quite easy if you put a little forward thinking into it.

It got used in anger on its first outing today after staying up until 4:30am to finish. My mate bit off a little more than he could chew in his GQ in the way of a puddle and it pulled him to freedom effortlessly.
    Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you want to attempt a build.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mjr350 For This Useful Post:

AJTich (3rd July 2015), Drewboyaus (10th October 2014), LaughingBeagles (5th April 2015), Robo (15th October 2014), Sherro (8th October 2014), VK2FMIA (21st June 2016), warthog1 (19th August 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done mate! That winch looks absolutely identical to my Ridge Ryder.

Isn't it great how a welder can not only save you money but also be a source of personal satisfaction when it turns out as intended.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Parksy (2nd October 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I noticed that. I would dare say most of the cheaper 12000lb winches are all the same and just rebadged.
    Welding is probably the most useful skill I've got. I started with a pile of scrap and a stick welder when I was 8 and used the same welder to weld this 19 years later.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    good job nice and solid , I especially like the idea of putting the winch control socket inside.
    I fitted a yellow latch lock hook,, you can fit more straps etc in it if required
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im thinking of removing the hook and just fitting a 6.2t bow shackle instead.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in the middle of installing same winch into my GU, thinking about putting the solenoid box on the front apron near the horn as that seems to be easiest place to mount it. If I mount in the engine bay near brake booster I would have to lengthen the cables....what size cable should I use if I go that way?...thanks.
    Had a 1999 GU ST Patrol 4.5L Auto on Dual Fuel ...now have a 2003 GU ST ZD30TD Auto.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought 6 meters of red for the 3 cables that go from the solenoid to the winch and ended up with a meter spare so just under 2 meters per cable. The earth cable and the power cable are long enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you go thicker with the cable? As mentioned in my thread, I changed the cabling from 2 to 0 gauge.
    My Ecutalk shows me it drops from 13.8v to 11.2v when I use it. That's with a high idle and a new battery.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    0 gauge is about 8mm diameter isn't it?, where are you guys getting your cable from.
    Had a 1999 GU ST Patrol 4.5L Auto on Dual Fuel ...now have a 2003 GU ST ZD30TD Auto.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea its (0 awg) 8.25 mm, what wire was 2 and swapped to 0? The main power supply?. Surely the didn't supply (2)6.5mm wire for that??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast