OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIY winch cradle for GU alloy bar.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to tickle an old thread but better than starting a new one, I used the straight across 8mm plate on my GU, but to run my dyneema straight out from the plate I cut a slot where the number plate usually sits. Is there any advantage or disadvantage on pull stress noticable depending on the angle it comes through the bar? 20160609_122840.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An old thread I know, however I'm looking at fabricating a winch cradle similar to the ones going around for $300+ (shown below) which is ridiculous, but I guess that's the after market scene nowadays. I'm interested in some dimensions such as how far the winch sits lower than the chassis rails, distance from the front of the cradle to the first mounting hole to get the positioning and projection right. Better still, if someone has this style cradle all dimensions would save some time.

Cheers,
    Paul

Winch Cradle.png

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pspeirs View Post
    An old thread I know, however I'm looking at fabricating a winch cradle similar to the ones going around for $300+ (shown below) which is ridiculous, but I guess that's the after market scene nowadays. I'm interested in some dimensions such as how far the winch sits lower than the chassis rails, distance from the front of the cradle to the first mounting hole to get the positioning and projection right. Better still, if someone has this style cradle all dimensions would save some time.

Cheers,
    Paul

Winch Cradle.png
    Paul, you would get all this info by default if you purchased the item that someone has taken the time to work out - now you will pay the 'free time bill' trying to work it out, buy the steel, have it laser cut, welded and then painted. I understand the frustration but you ultimately pay either way. Depends what hourly rate you value your personal time at I guess. In saying that i have done a lot of similar tasks in the past, and value the personal satisfaction of doing it myself, but these days, time poor so find buying the bit makes more sense, and i don't have to root around for 16 hrs and modifying it after I screw it up for the fifth time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (20th June 2021)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY winch cradle for GU alloy bar.

Free time I have, capability I have and I don’t mind shelling out for something at a reasonable price for a quality product. I don’t however enjoy being ripped off by a market that sees the gullibility of consumers. I could market an identical product at half the price if I could be buggered looking into it and still make a decent profit.

That being said, if anyone has measurements that’d be good, would save me pulling the bar off now.

There’s also the satisfaction of making something as you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pspeirs For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (20th June 2021)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234