Thread: 2" lift the same on GQ & GU????

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    But remember the GU is a heavier car, so if you put GU springs in a GQ it will be a harsher ride.
    I have 2" GU springs in my GQ and it does not flex well but drives brilliantly on road. Would not have wanted anything else on the Simmo trip
    How do you know they're GU springs? I've fitted a lift in a GU & a GQ & I can assure you the springs are very different. The springs in the GU are a lot longer for a start. The spring rates are different & the spring diameters are slightly different. I doubt they'd fit to be honest.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky1 View Post
    How do you know they're GU springs? I've fitted a lift in a GU & a GQ & I can assure you the springs are very different. The springs in the GU are a lot longer for a start. The spring rates are different & the spring diameters are slightly different. I doubt they'd fit to be honest.
    Because they're marked as GU springs on the packaging (OME) and they certainly fit fine. My GQ is fitted with 2 inch GU springs and the lift in the GQ sits at about 2.5 inches. As Winnie suggested, the unladen ride is a bit harsh but once loaded for a trip its spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky1 View Post
    nah not right mate, sorry. they go straight in. as attested by many in this thread they are All running a GU lift in their GQs. when i first lifted my GQ i used a GU lift for the extra lift too.

The Spring height is irrelevant. When i did the 3" lift on my GU the OME 3" spring was the same height as the standard spring! i was very concerned but the spring was a much heavier coil and sits 3" higher. Winner.

The coil diameter is the same as the spring seats on both are identical. just like the Diff centres are interchangeable, most of the drive train is the same. the diffs are slightly wider, the CVs are bigger and the brakes are better on the GU but the springs are the same coil diameter. The main difference is the Spring weight setting for the GQ and the GU are different as the GU is a heavy car un-ladened.

If there are companies selling a spring to suit a GQ and a GU then you should be asking how they get their Un-Ladened weight setting? a +200kg spring for a GQ will be different to a +200kg spring for a GU. It should be anyway. but the same spring will fit both cars. A +200kg spring for a GU will be like fitting a +400kg spring into a GQ though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (30th October 2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12